Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: two more covid related questions

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: two more covid related questions

Rumlover,

You were correct as well at catching my mistake, but I somehow missed your post.... Thanks for the assistance man!

Rob
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

MarkY is correct - an antigen is something that will provoke an immune system response, an antibody is the response. The easy way to know what you're getting is that an antibody test involves drawing blood. Vaccination does cause your body to begin producing antibodies without the actual presence of the virus; a positive antibody test could mean either you've been vaccinated or that you have had (and may well have recovered from) the virus.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consum...testing-basics

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Please wait for the Jamaican government response. It seems they are accepting the same documents as does the US for your return flight.

But wait for confirmation... ask again if no response.
    visitjamaica.com has responded to my inquiry on how to travel with previously (early January) testing positive for covid and fear of possible subsequent positive test prior to march visit. I have a note from my doctor that i have recovered, and that I am clear for travel. Their response: "Under the current measures the Government of Jamaica requires that all travellers to Jamaica present a negative PCR test or negative Antigen test result, there will be no exceptions to this rule". That is more strict than the USA requirements. Ill have to get retested and see if I am clear. Otherwise another cancelled 3 - 4 week stay for us. Seems unreasonable for a country that is struggling so much right now. If anyone has heard otherwise, please let me know. Thanks..

User Info Menu

I understand your frustration, but how could anyone in Jamaica assess whether a note from a doctor is real, or what "recovered" means exactly to that doctor? The antigen test shows whether you are currently carrying the virus; Jamaica cannot afford to have tourists arrive who are carrying the virus. Seems pretty straightforward.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wrtiii View Post
    I understand your frustration, but how could anyone in Jamaica assess whether a note from a doctor is real, or what "recovered" means exactly to that doctor? The antigen test shows whether you are currently carrying the virus; Jamaica cannot afford to have tourists arrive who are carrying the virus. Seems pretty straightforward.
    With a 10 period to test prior to travel, the test result is pretty much worthless at the time of travel. Same with the US requirement of 3 days.

User Info Menu

It's not hard to make a system that really works. Hong Kong requires quarantine for 2 weeks when you arrive, with testing during the quarantine, plus is doing diagnostic testing of the entire population (my kids who live there are getting tested repeatedly). New Zealand requires testing within 72 hours of departure to NZ, plus testing and 14 days quarantine on arrival. That obviously works; would you find it acceptable? Maybe we shouldn't ***** too much about countries that are trying to find a middle ground that does not completely eliminate tourism.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wrtiii View Post
    Along with a certified lab said positive test result, should be the same as a certified lab negative test. According to the science you’re no longer able to pass the virus after 10 days. If we don’t trust the science than what are we trusting? One country’s requirements are good enough? The next isn’t? Then I would argue if that’s the case you shouldn’t trust that country’s visitors at all. I’m not trying to be selfish and risk Jamaica and it’s people. Just rationally listening to the “science” which says I’m good to go.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BayLaker View Post
    Along with a certified lab said positive test result, should be the same as a certified lab negative test. According to the science you’re no longer able to pass the virus after 10 days. If we don’t trust the science than what are we trusting? One country’s requirements are good enough? The next isn’t? Then I would argue if that’s the case you shouldn’t trust that country’s visitors at all. I’m not trying to be selfish and risk Jamaica and it’s people. Just rationally listening to the “science” which says I’m good to go.
    Maybe I am missing something, but you will need to test within 10 days of your March visit.

Get the Rapid Antigen test and if you are no longer carrying the virus, then you will have your negative test. If your doctor is correct, then you should test negative.

And remember, you will need to be tested again here to board your flight back to the US. It is after all possible to become infected here, which is why the US wants a test within 72 hours of departure.

Any previous tests or doctor's notes really don't come in play. Both countries want you and your fellow passengers to be safe.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I had three people that were supposed to come in mid January with me but they got Covid early to mid December and were still unable to secure a negative test a month plus later. I am sure many people are in the same boat, so they couldn't go, but one can only imagine if countries took Dr. notes as proof. How to verify it would be interesting and we all know some people would be trying to pass fraudulent documentation.