Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two more covid related questions

User Info Menu

two more covid related questions

i am planning on a vaccine tomorrow before our trip and then getting a test. so am a bit concerned about testing positive in negril before our return home. . is it know what type of test is being administered at coco la palm. is it a viral or an antibody test or something else.
    also what is the time frame for completing the travel authorization form before heading to negril
    thanks

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: two more covid related questions

Quote Originally Posted by original spanky View Post
    i am planning on a vaccine tomorrow before our trip and then getting a test. so am a bit concerned about testing positive in negril before our return home. . is it know what type of test is being administered at coco la palm. is it a viral or an antibody test or something else.
    also what is the time frame for completing the travel authorization form before heading to negril
    thanks
    Second question first: from the Visitjamaica site

Non-resident applications may be submitted anytime within the five (5) day period before the intended date of travel.
    -------------

Because the Antigen tests for antibodies and the vaccine creates antibodies in your body, if you take the Antigen test you will test positive. On the much more expensive PCR test you would probably test negative.

You have 3 choices, 1) wait on the vaccine, 2) take the more expensive PCR test and hope for the best, 3) contact the Visitjamaica.com site immediately and ask them what if any vaccine documentation and information you must have on hand to get past testing positive on the Antigen test.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob, thanks. very helpful

User Info Menu

Rob, I believe that information is incorrect. According to the CDC you will not test positive from the vaccination from a viral test. You will test positive from the antibody test which isn’t accepted for travel. You can test positive on a viral test because you are not 100% protected and could actually have Covid. Bottom line after a vaccination you can still have the antigen test before departing for the US.
    If anyone has conflicting information please share.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by original spanky View Post
    thanks
    I have similar question. I tested positive for covid in early January. Planning a trip to Negril in March. I’m concerned of still testing positive. For return to the US, you need your positive test result and date along with a drs note stating you have recovered. I haven’t found anything like that for arrival to JA. Can anyone answer or point me in the right direction? I have contacted visit Jamaica.com and am waiting their response. Much thanks!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Please wait for the Jamaican government response. It seems they are accepting the same documents as does the US for your return flight.

But wait for confirmation... ask again if no response.

User Info Menu

My wife received her first vaccination January 27. We will be in Negril next week and just had our Antigen tests today. I am pleased to say both our tests Antigen tests gave Negative for Covid.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MissingNegril View Post
    My wife received her first vaccination January 27. We will be in Negril next week and just had our Antigen tests today. I am pleased to say both our tests Antigen tests gave Negative for Covid.
    It takes the body between 10 to 14 days to develop enough antibodies to show up on the Antigen tests. Yesterday was your day 10.

Please bring a copy of ALL your vaccine information with you should you test positive here for your return flight.

We just had someone go through this happening and the documentation became extremely important.

See you soon.

User Info Menu

This is incorrect - antigens are parts of the virus - you have them in your body as soon as you are infected. Antigen tests are less sensitive than PCR because PCR's trick is that it multiplies the amount of viral DNA it starts with making it easier to detect. Because antigen tests are less sensitive they *might* miss the virus early or late in the infection when there's less virus present. Your body produces antibodies which attach to antigens so yes, those come later but that is a different test which is relatively rare at this point.

Jamaica and United States are accepting antigen or PCR tests for travel - both test for virus. Antigen tests are faster and cheaper than PCR but less sensitive. Neither Jamaica nor United States accepts antibody tests but nobody will offer those to you when you ask to be tested for covid.
    Last edited by MarkY; 02-04-2021 at 08:43 AM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

MarkY,

Thank you so much for the correction. After reading all the various source jargon I got the Antibody and Antigen tests confused. Thanks man!

But for those who have either one or two vaccine shots, or if you have had Covid but are Covid free now, please bring down full copies of all your documentation. That was the only way a person we know was able to leave after a positive test. The government is accepting the documentation.