Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: My trip report

User Info Menu

My trip report

I just got back from Negril which was my 45th time there with my 2 kids Joe and Erin and my daughter's friend Molly. My children are in their early 20s as is my daughter's friend. They have been there 8 times and this was the first time for Molly. We had a 6 am flight out of Fargo on Delta to Minneapolis, then a direct flight to MBJ. It is a great connection. In Fargo they asked for the Jamaican authorization form and our negative tests before we boarded. We were never asked for either forms again. I am sure this helps speed up the process at the MBJ airport when you get there. Our flight was on time to the minute. There may have only been 30 on the plane. We stayed for 11 days. When we landed, we had Club Mobay as we always do but there really was no lines in the airport. We had temps taken and multiple sanitations. I think it didn't take 15 minutes to get all the way through. We slammed a couple of quick drinks in the lounge and changed and then it was off to the races. There always is something magical about getting off the plane and smelling that Jamaican air. It never gets old! We got in our ride and as usual, stopped at Megamart in MBJ to get beer, water, ting and other beverages. I like to get that done right away. After about 20 minutes, we were on our way to Negril. The traffic was light on that Thursday afternoon so we rolled into Cocolapalm a little over an hour later. Nothing like pulling into that place. It has been our place of choice for many years. We had our temps taken and hands sanitized and of course had our masks on. We got checked in and before we could unpack one thing, the kids forced me to go to the bar..lol..we were able to catch the sunset which was nice and start my epic bar tab with 3 thirsty young adults. We stayed there for a couple of hours then hit the hay. The next day we got up for breakfast at Cocolapalm and then beach time. We used sunscreen but my son is white as a ghost so he got a little fried. It was rinse and repeat of that schedule for a week and then 2 days before we were going to fly out, the kids wanted to extend so I called Delta and they did that for 20$ a ticket so that was a good thing. We added two days but were able to watch the NFL games on Sunday to see who goes to the Super Bowl. We didn't do much other then hit a few different places to eat every night. Our family tradition is to go to The Spa Resort in the cliffs. Lovely place with a great happy hour and great food too. I highly recommend it. We were pretty much the only people there. We also went to Charela to eat a couple of times. Again, virtually no one there for dinner. We went to Best of The West as well. Excellent as always. Cocolapalm never disappoints us and the food and drinks and service were excellent. It was great to see lots of our friends. It is surreal to be in Negril on the beach in January and see almost no one there. Several hotels closed still and other places as well. It is sad to see that but we were glad to be there and support our Jamaican friends. After 11 days, it was difficult to say goodby. We didn't get to see lots of people as they aren't working much or at all at the resorts. We hope that changes. We got to the airport the last day before the covid testing started to get back to the states. The airport was pretty busy as I think lots of people moved up their flights so they wouldn't have to deal with that. We did the Club Mobay on the way out and that is a nice way to relax. We got back to the shock of 0 out Monday night in Fargo with a lovely breeze. I just wanted to say that if you can go...go. It was a relaxing trip and a different take to enjoy Negril like maybe it was many years ago. We made the best of it being so quiet but of course hopefully that changes soon. It was good to see a few of you guys there. Irie...

User Info Menu

Re: My trip report

Fargoman, enjoyed the report . gets me excited about going in 10 days. youve been going long enuff to remember getting off the plane down the ramp always loved that. we signed up for arrival for club mobay. does not sound like we need it but that's ok.
    we will try the spa restaurant this time for a first. any item on the menu your fav ?

User Info Menu

Original spanky...the sampler platter is what my son has there. Their burger is the Blue Mahoe burger. I think its the best in Negril. Pasta is outstanding there too. Happy hour is from 5-6. The bar is really cool with a thatched roof. The view back to Negril is awesome.

User Info Menu

Thanx for the info Gary....glad you had a good time. What's going on next door, is Popsii working. Did Karl drive you, and if so, how's he doing?

User Info Menu

Kimbobwee..we looked for Popsii but he wasn't around. Sandy Haven was very quiet. Sunbeach reopened but quiet as well. We didn't see Karl on this trip.

User Info Menu

Nice trip report! Thanks for sharing! We are so excited to finally get to go back to Negril in August for my 60th birthday. It will be our first time to stay at Couples Swept Away and we can't wait to check out this beautiful resort.

User Info Menu

Thanks for checking in. Do you have any pictures, or after 44 visits was there nothing else to photograph?
    Johio