Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you to our Canadian friends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Thank you to our Canadian friends!

We would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to all our Canadian friends who have visited this season. Your generosity and support of the Negril community cannot be overstated. For those whose upcoming plans have been changed, we look forward to seeing you after April 30th.

For those who are choosing to stay or have been stuck here due to circumstances, please feel free to contact us at anytime - we will be here to help in any way possible.

Thank you Canadians!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Thank you to our Canadian friends!

Soooo.....lets see, -22'C for a high in Winnipeg tomorrow.....or stay in Jamaica until April 30th What should I do. Ya we're staying put. 30th of April is still 3 months away so I hope and pray that things will improve before that.

User Info Menu

If I could even get there I would but now there are no flights. Guess the government wants us all home for Winter break. But I am NOT happy.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    If I could even get there I would but now there are no flights. Guess the government wants us all home for Winter break. But I am NOT happy.
    This is why there are no flights

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by airswift View Post
    This is why there are no flights
    But there are still flights to the USA, where you can then book a flight to the Caribbean. If you are rich, you can still vacation in the tropics..... go figure...

https://www.traveloffpath.com/canadi...-u-s-airlines/

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Thank you to our Canadian friends!

After seeing these numbers in another post:

“A more reliable stat is the mortality rate. Based on per million, the USA is at 1344 per million. Canada is at 521 per million. Jamaica is at 116 per million. Jamaica is over ten times safer than the USA and almost exactly 5 times safer than Canada.

I don’t understand why Canadians would expose themselves to the higher number of cases and mortality rates by flying through the US and having layovers in several crowded airports. I’d love to be in Jamaica now but I wouldn’t want to pick up the virus on the way down and pass it on to the locals. Just my thoughts.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JahLove View Post

“A more reliable stat is the mortality rate. Based on per million, the USA is at 1344 per million. Canada is at 521 per million. Jamaica is at 116 per million. Jamaica is over ten times safer than the USA and almost exactly 5 times safer than Canada.

I don’t understand why Canadians would expose themselves to the higher number of cases and mortality rates by flying through the US and having layovers in several crowded airports. I’d love to be in Jamaica now but I wouldn’t want to pick up the virus on the way down and pass it on to the locals. Just my thoughts.
    The article I posted pretty much explains the thought process. But a couple things you need to keep in mind. First, the mortality rate stats are rarely if ever quoted in the mainstream media. So people are being kept in the dark about the facts. And now everyone is being tested for Covid on international flights, so Canadians are essentially travelling with other pre-tested negative travelers.

And no airport is crowded at this time...

User Info Menu

Or you could look at it by death rate.
    20k deaths in Canada/783k cases = 2.5%
    441k deaths in USA/26M cases = 1.7%
    352 deaths in JA/15.8k cases = 2.2%

Lots of numbers being thrown around. Here in Illinois, our top doc said from the beginning that if you died with COVID (eg, motorcycle accident) you would be counted as a COVID death even if you did not die from COVID. Not sure how other States, Canada or Jamaica is counting.

Quote Originally Posted by JahLove View Post

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
    Or you could look at it by death rate.
    20k deaths in Canada/783k cases = 2.5%
    441k deaths in USA/26M cases = 1.7%
    352 deaths in JA/15.8k cases = 2.2%

Lots of numbers being thrown around. Here in Illinois, our top doc said from the beginning that if you died with COVID (eg, motorcycle accident) you would be counted as a COVID death even if you did not die from COVID. Not sure how other States, Canada or Jamaica is counting.
    This is exactly why I stated the number of cases means virtually nothing. The more any country tests, the more positive and negative cases will be generated. The mortality rate FROM COVID, not with Covid per million is a pure number, not dependent upon any procedures a country may or may not be doing. It is truly the only number that can be used for comparison between countries.

If you die in a car accident and you happened to have Covid, to count that as a Covid death is stupid, misleading and skews anything and everything that scientists are trying to do to stop this pandemic.

User Info Menu

That makes sense Rob. I can see that the mortality rate isn’t indicative of the number of active cases. I thought the airports might be busy for interstate travel.