Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covid Negril Question (Surprise, Surprise)

User Info Menu

Covid Negril Question (Surprise, Surprise)

My wife is freaking out every other day about our trip to Negril on the 20th. I know i have seen this reference before but i can't find it to show her. Is it true that the level of Covid is pretty low in Negril compared to other areas of the country? She sees that Jamaica is a level 4 and is very worried.
    thank you,

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Covid Negril Question (Surprise, Surprise)

The single most important stat is the mortality rate. It is not based on how much or how little testing is being done.

The US mortality rate for the US is approximately 1400 per million. In Jamaica it is 121 per million.

Jamaica is over 10 times safer than the United States.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

We are wrapping up our 2 weeks and it's been no problem. The Jamaicans are taking covid very serious. Taxi drivers are all wearing masks, every store we walked into had us use hand sanitizer. Getting the covid test to get back home was no.problem. We did a lot of food delivery and some dining out. It's been great.

User Info Menu

Third day here . All good everyone cautious . I reward that Westmoreland is one of the lowest areas in Jamaica but rob could probably reply to that

User Info Menu

Here now and feeling very safe. Second trip since November. Arrival here almost normal except for sanitizing throughout.

User Info Menu

How does the dining out / bar experience feel, covid safety-wise? Are the staff generally wearing masks? I've seen some recent photos posted where that doesn't seem to be the case, but I don't want to generalize based on a few moments in time. I have a trip planned with arrival on the 26th, and it's decision time.

User Info Menu

Every restaurant we went to everyone was wearing a mask including the taxi drivers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Jamaica is over 10 times safer than the United States.
    This is laughable considering that if one dies in the US it is most likely due to the Rona. People in their end days of cancer die and the test after death is positive, so it is a COVID death.

User Info Menu

I say don't let fear take over your desires and wishes! Mask up and GO!

I was in Jamaica in June 2020, just 2 weeks after the border reopened. Airport arrival and protocols were not an issue. The beach was practically empty; sad to see. Still, I enjoyed being there seeing friends, and strolling along the beach. I did my grocery shopping as usual; mask, sanitize and temp check at the door - no issue.

I returned home to retire and headed back down for 90 days! Had the time of my life; because life is what YOU make it. I respected the protocols, and went on my way. Yes, curfew times change as positive cases rise, but I did not let that hinder me from a good time. Some restaurants and music venues were open, and as my time there progressed more places were opening up. Heading back down in April for 6 months.....or longer!

So if you have the desire to go AND you know you do, GO! Don't let fear steal your JOY!

Soon come!