Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: close friend shot saturday

User Info Menu

close friend shot saturday

we saw Devon (Bandoo) on feb 18th as we went up to Red Ground to visit the Mosely family before we left for home i first met the family in 1974 and we stayed in Red ground until about 10 years ago . Devon had 2 of his three children in Negril. his third just 6 months was in Canada with the Mom . Devon had also been spending most of the time in Canada and has a job at the airport there but due to covid restrictions had not been able to get back there. i have experienced several deaths in the family in my 47 years of visiting Negril but Devons has hit me the worst. i dont know anything about lottery scamming and frankly dont care Devon was a great Dad and was very kind to all. he was also the favorite of my two daughters now 24 and 21 who met him when they were early teenagers.
    when he was about three i remember he had rickets and had sticks tied to his legs to help straighten them out . the next year i visited he had them off and could run faster than anyone.
    he always had a smile on his face. on this last visit he showed me his pictures that he had around the dresser mirror which included a couple of my family .
    i will miss him on my future trips.

Seven people murdered in St James, Westmoreland

Published:Monday | March 8, 2021 | 12:24 AMHopeton Bucknor/Gleaner Writer
    SEVEN people, including a 16-year-old boy, were murdered in St James and Westmoreland during a bloody weekend in which a 13-year-old student was left nursing gunshot wounds at hospital.

Those killed in St James have been identified as 33-year-old Daryl Richards, a data entry clerk of Salt Spring; 41-year-old Bryan Coote, otherwise called ‘Tadd’, farmer of Kensington; 16-year-old Omarion Campbell, a student of Peace View, Albion; 35-year-old Jermaine Brown, otherwise called ‘Jail Bud’, painter of Fairfield, Irwin.

The Westmoreland victims are 28-year-old Arceno Samms, labourer of Red Ground, in Negril; 34-year-old, Devon Mosley, otherwise called ‘Bandoo’, labourer, also of Red Ground, Negril; and 59-year-old Winston Williams, otherwise called ‘Slyback’, labourer of Kings Valley, Grange Hill.

The Savanna-la-Mar police reported that shortly after 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, gunmen said to be part of a gang operating out of Red Ground in Negril attacked rivals near a chicken farm.

Residents said the gun battle lasted more than an hour.

Six persons were found suffering from gunshot wounds and were rushed to hospital. Samms and Mosley were pronounced dead at hospital.

GANG FEUD
    A police investigator from Westmoreland said there has been an ongoing gang feud between men from Red Ground, Negril.

“This is not the first instance where we have had a double murder in that community,” a policeman, who requested anonymity, said.

“The entire warfare is connected to the lottery scamming, and most of these men who are caught up in the altercation are well know scammers, but the police will now be clamping down on these men.”

User Info Menu

Re: close friend shot saturday

Wow, sorry about the loss of your friend. Really makes you think twice about heading into Red Ground though...

User Info Menu

Yes I must agree with that. I just can’t see though the people that I know in red ground being involved in a lottery scam. Can’t see how they would receive any money . The wire services would become suspicious and I can’t see them taking credit card info ???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by original spanky View Post
    Yes I must agree with that. I just can’t see though the people that I know in red ground being involved in a lottery scam. Can’t see how they would receive any money . The wire services would become suspicious and I can’t see them taking credit card info ???
    I have been warned many times by locals " Stay out of red ground, not a good place"

User Info Menu

This is very sad for everyone involved and the community as a whole, but I'm not sure this will keep me from the pork at Red Dragon.
    Rest in Peace Mr. Mosley and prayer for his family.

User Info Menu

thanks jOHN

Administrator

User Info Menu

This terrible event has rocked the Red Ground community. On Saturday we were at Red Dragon moments after it occurred and could immediately sense the tension. It was heartbreaking. Gangs and the lotto scam greed had put a whole community on edge.

The gang violence is almost exclusively caused by the lotto scam. Years ago, the US Embassy stated, "The lottery scam in Jamaica has morphed into an organized crime wave bigger than drugs."

Bandoo (Mosley) was well known in Negril and Red Ground and had been on the watch list for the police for years. During our Zoom meeting last night, the local police Superintendent mentioned that these rival gangs have been battling for years. Police are stepping up their efforts in rounding up the remaining gang members. There will be heightened security in Red Ground for the foreseeable future.

As we have been discussing the implications of lotto scamming on Negril.com for 5 or 6 years now, please do not underestimate the impact that this has on Jamaica. Original Spanky, you said "i dont know anything about lottery scamming and frankly dont care", please be assured that millions of Jamaicans do know about the lotto scamming and care immensely about its implications.

And as a side note, just yesterday I received a scam call. I was told I won a prize and all I needed to do was give them my information and pay for the shipping cost from Dennis Shipping of US$200. Dennis Shipping has been notified....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

i have heard of course of the Jamaican lottery scam but have not realized the scope of it . the Mosely family is in mourning over this terrible loss as is my family but hopefully this will be frightening enuff for the others in Red Ground as well as cause the police to crack down on it to put a stop or at least reduce the activity

User Info Menu

really sad ... this crap needs to stop....they could do it....so why dont they...??
    just axeing...