Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ricks

User Info Menu

Ricks

Checked out the camera at ricks. Lots of people, no one wearing masks. [ I don't mean the jumpers]
    Not a good thing.

User Info Menu

Re: Ricks

Totally agree

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this, it is hard to find out exactly what it's like there. Some would have you believe that everyone wears masks, observes social distancing, and that the case rate is low... some of that is easily researched, such as actual case rates vs "what people say", but it's not easy to find out what it's really like at bars, restaurants, hotels, etc.

Some say you should come! That the locals need the revenue from tourists (not disputing this, obviously this is the case) but the actual level of safety, perceived or otherwise, I can't really get a grasp on what is real - too many people with motives, too many opposing views when I read information at places outside of travel-based forums.

Considering a visit this summer, have cancelled multiple trips already and we could really use a break. weighing the risk vs reward... Knowing this, at the very least I'll be staying away from Ricks.

There should be a list of places that take the precautions seriously.
    Last edited by HarryS; 04-01-2021 at 10:23 PM.

User Info Menu

We were In Jamaica 2 weeks ago. We did not go up to the West end so I don't know what it is like there but they are taking the protocols etc seriously on the beach. Everyone working both at our hotel and the restaurants we went to wore masks and wore them properly. Every store and little shop we went into made you use hand sanitizer before you entered. The only place we didn't see many masks was on the beach where it is very easy to social distance. The beach shore vendors masking seemed to be that if they were selling massages or wares they wore masks but selling pot no masks.I felt safer there than at home because here the stores and businesses etc started out being extra careful with cleanliness but have pretty much given it up and they are still being careful in Jamaica. I would say that if you are wary of going out at home travelling anywhere right now would be pretty much the same but from what we experienced all of the legally open businesses on the beach were following the protocols and even went above them like opening doors for you so you didn't have to touch them and other little things to keep both the visitors and workers safe.

User Info Menu

I was surprised to see that many people all crowded together on the steps and walkways and not wearing masks or social distancing.
    Usually there are not many people at ricks.
    Don't understand what happened to the protocols.

User Info Menu

Are you sure you were looking at the live view? There was another thread similar to this and it turned out that the live cam was down and they were streaming an archived view.
    Johio

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johio View Post
    Are you sure you were looking at the live view? There was another thread similar to this and it turned out that the live cam was down and they were streaming an archived view.
    Yes it was live.

User Info Menu

I agree with others that the vast majority of businesses are being extremely careful. Rick’s is a bar and everyone was walking around with a drink and not many masks. Our group was still able to find a socially distanced spot to hang for awhile. As sunset approached and crowds increased we moved on. We just used some common sense and stayed well during our three visits since February 2020. As vaccinations increase hopefully more will feel safe making the decision to travel. With just a few exceptions I think Jamaica has done everything correctly!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
    I agree with others that the vast majority of businesses are being extremely careful. Rick’s is a bar and everyone was walking around with a drink and not many masks. Our group was still able to find a socially distanced spot to hang for awhile. As sunset approached and crowds increased we moved on. We just used some common sense and stayed well during our three visits since February 2020. As vaccinations increase hopefully more will feel safe making the decision to travel. With just a few exceptions I think Jamaica has done everything correctly!
    My understanding is, from what I have heard and seen, is that the staff and service industry people are really great at keeping up with current protocol.

User Info Menu

Why do people think Jamaica is so different with following the universal protocols? Jamaica is no different then anywhere else. You will have those that wear a mask and those that don't. I went to JA 3 times during the pandemic and found some wore masks and some didn't --- same thing right here in Maryland. What I did see that was different was that everywhere I went the various establishments took your temperature and directed you to get your hands sanitized or the sink to wash your hands. Bottom line is no matter where you are protect yourself.