Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yellowbird Sea-Tel

User Info Menu

Re: Yellowbird chairs/facilities

We were there in March and never had a problem stopping at the bar for our favorite 2 for 1 Dirty Bananas. But we also don't use the lounge chairs, just hang at the bar.

User Info Menu

Re: Yellowbird Sea-Tel

Although we have never stayed at YB, where we have stayed I've often been taken aback at the behavior of people who are not guests at a resort but show up in the morning, grab loungers, and claim prime spots by dragging the chairs there and piling their stuff on them. This is somewhat offensive when it's guests of the resort who don't actually stay on the beach throughout the day, but definitely so when it's someone staying at a cheaper place on the morass side. I can certainly sympathize with YB's new owners attempting to prioritize their paying guests without completely shutting out the general public, and I think the $20. with a $10. bar credit rebate is quite reasonable.

User Info Menu

That is a shame if people were abusing the property like that. I hate to see people leaving garbage, and throwing cigarette butts in the sand, etc. I always thought it was well understood that one would spend and tip at the places they like to spend time. I suppose some bad actors must have lead to the Yellow Bird implementing the policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrtiii View Post
    Although we have never stayed at YB, where we have stayed I've often been taken aback at the behavior of people who are not guests at a resort but show up in the morning, grab loungers, and claim prime spots by dragging the chairs there and piling their stuff on them. This is somewhat offensive when it's guests of the resort who don't actually stay on the beach throughout the day, but definitely so when it's someone staying at a cheaper place on the morass side. I can certainly sympathize with YB's new owners attempting to prioritize their paying guests without completely shutting out the general public, and I think the $20. with a $10. bar credit rebate is quite reasonable.

User Info Menu

During a stay at Tree House, a Jamaican family of 4 arrived and sat in chairs obviously being used by guests of the hotel who were swimming at the time. When the guests returned they refused to leave. It took security to make them leave and they took the guests towels with them. Replacement towels were $12.

User Info Menu

Re: Yellowbird chairs/facilities

Same for me..... I spend a few hours a couple of days a week at the bar enjoying the drinks and the company! It was fun watching the World Cup a few years ago! I have no interest in using the lounge chairs or beach area but it sure is a nice backdrop. Any idea if the bar will be open in July?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    I hope it all works out very well for the Yellow Bird. It is a gem of a beach front property in Negril, and remains more like what many of the places on the Negril Beach were like 20 or 30 years ago. (More green, less concrete).
    Sunray
    I'm sorry to say, but it looks to me as if the new owner may have "Bigger" long term plans for his new acquirements. I'm sure you've played Monopoly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNYC View Post
    Sunray
    I'm sorry to say, but it looks to me as if the new owner may have "Bigger" long term plans for his new acquirements. I'm sure you've played Monopoly.
    JohnNYC,
    Soon come Big Bird!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wrtiii View Post
    Thank you for your post which reinforces in more detail my previous post re what my wife and I experienced. Sometimes multiple groups of 8-10+ people will show up early in the morning and act as if they own the yard= prime loungers, prime spots, entitled attitude etc. It is a fair call to implement the new $20/day/chair including $10 bar credit "chairs" policy for non YB guests. The YB is a functioning resort not just a bar or "drop-in center". This policy will not completely shut out the general public.

FYI: As a long time YB paying guest, my wife and I will go on a daily 1-2 hour walk along the beach (exercise, see what's happening along the beach) and leave our towels/beach bag on our chairs... I do not think leaving our stuff on our chairs is unreasonable

User Info Menu

This beach chair thing is an issue everywhere. A charge for non resort guests is a possible solution however hotel security would need to get involved to make it work.

User Info Menu

It's my understanding that YB is a business, not a charity. I see no problem implementing the charge to correct an issue impacting their paying guests. I would think $20, with all of it going towards food & drink, would get less resistance.