Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Beach hustlers ruining Negril beach experience

User Info Menu

Re: Help! Beach hustlers ruining Negril beach experience

And DON'T tell them where you are staying or for how long. One bad thing about the resorts that make you wear a wrist band is that everyone knows which resort you are staying
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregandkelly63 View Post
    And DON'T tell them where you are staying or for how long. One bad thing about the resorts that make you wear a wrist band is that everyone knows which resort you are staying
    Very true. No personal info at all beyond first name. No matter where I stay, I'm always staying "down the beach"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregandkelly63 View Post
    Yeah, I always take off my wrist band immediately when at White Sands because everyone on the beach knows their wrist band color (the WS staff knows who you are within an hour of arrival anyways and you can always show the security your room key as ID). One thing that I always do is wear a Jamaican ankle bracelet I bought a few years ago, so if someone approaches me I just tell them that I already got mine. I'm not into the Ganga so I just tell them that I only drink Stripes and if they persist, I also tell them that I get drug tested for work (both which are true anyways). That all said, I do enjoy buying things occasionally from the beach vendors (I've bought different food and even some art).
    Last edited by ukran1ans; 05-11-2021 at 07:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Getting approached on the beach is certainly one of the downsides of visiting Negril. There are countless upsides. There is solid advice in this thread that I have used over time that has helped to deal with the situation. One other strategy that my wife and I use is walking at a fast pace and with purpose when cruising the beach. It's not much unlike the "culling of the heard" principal, the slow movers are easier prey. One of these days, age will catch up with us and we will need a new strategy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

My husband even gets hassled sometimes and he’s from there lol. Usually once he starts talking they leave us alone.

User Info Menu

I offer to sell ganja to the guys that ask me if I want any, usually good for a laugh for both of us. I'm not selling anything but they get the point that I have what I need.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewer View Post
    I offer to sell ganja to the guys that ask me if I want any, usually good for a laugh for both of us. I'm not selling anything but they get the point that I have what I need.
    I thought I was the only one that did that,,, LOL I try to sell them what they are selling me...

User Info Menu

We just returned from Negril about a week ago, I didn't find the beach vendors any more aggressive than in the past. There are definitely less tourists on the beach than in previous trips, so I think you are more of a target. I always buy a bracelet or two just as a good faith purchase, and I will look at crafts etc. as I walk by or that I have promised to return to. I tell the Ganja guys that I already have what I need, that seems to work most times. Looking doesn't cost anything, just don't let anyone hand you anything. I did see some outright begging this year and I tried to give a little bit if I could, times are tough. Once you say no a couple of times, to the regular sellers they will not bother you (as much)

User Info Menu

I'm glad to see this thread hasn't devolved into the usual characters claiming that it must be you if you're being hassled on the beach. I always shake my head when people try to gaslight those who want to talk about this. The hassle is real, and even for those who know the runnings and know how to play the game, once in a while you end up dealing with someone who isn't trying to take no for an answer and wants to get aggressive.

I'll still walk the beach, but for the most part my wife will stay at the hotel while I go wander around and have my fun. It's just not worth those uncomfortable moments for her.

If someone is trying to teach you about Jamaican "Respect" because you aren't interested in having a conversation with them or spending/giving money, they are the ones who are lacking in respect.

I take the good with the bad, and have found enough that I like about Negril that I keep coming back. However, there are many who will not, or who will never leave the AI's.

User Info Menu

But otherwise, good tips here.

No need to share where you are staying, or for how long. You'd be surprised how much crime happens on the last night, when you'll need to get home and there will be little to no time to involve the police.

Don't wear a bracelet or anything else that identifies where you are staying.

Don't shake hands, fist bump. That way you don't accidentally end up with a bracelet or something else in your hand that you now have to haggle over.

Never say "maybe later", because they will remember and remind you that it's later and you said you'd buy something.

That person who is super friendly and "remembers you"? That's a scam. They don't know you and want something.

If someone tries to insist you have to buy them a beer, don't do it. Now you're a mark and they know you'll buy to make them go away.

Always ask how much before accepting anything. Food, a cab ride, a tour, anything. Negotiate first!

Carry small bills. I have been at bars, watching them take in small bills all day, then suddenly when I have a 1000 or 5000 bill they have no change. It's BS to get you to order more / leave a larger tip.
    Last edited by HarryS; 05-16-2021 at 02:02 PM.