Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamaica T-Shirt Trip Report

User Info Menu

Jamaica T-Shirt Trip Report

I am certainly not as eloquent as my husband, Monty, but I thought I would give this a try. Before I get into the actual trip report, let me start with this…

Thank you SO much to those who have contributed and received a t-shirt or donated to the St. Anthony’s Soup Kitchen. These contributions and donations have really made a huge impact on the owners of the participating businesses, as well as all of those served through the soup kitchen! Monty and I were blessed to be able to meet Fr. Jim and everyone listed with the exception of Whoopees, which is temporarily closed.

***On a side note, according to Father Jim, the St Anthony’s Soup Kitchen is serving around 400 meals a day by a paid staff of 7 (which means they are providing jobs in a place with such high unemployment). For approximately $20 US, they can supply 4 meals, just FYI. Also, we plan to keep the NegrilStore.com open for t-shirt purchases through the end of July. We must have at least 25 purchases in order to have them printed. If you or anyone you know wants to buy a shirt, please do so soon.

We saw tears of happiness and smiles like we’ve never seen before. Just seeing people wearing the shirt was so exciting to them. We have never been more proud to wear a t-shirt, THAT t-shirt! We heard stories about how they weren’t sure how they would pay the rent…that JPS was just there and was planning to cut the current if a payment wasn’t made…same with the water company. So, THANK YOU, from the bottom of our hearts and more importantly these Jamaicans’ hearts!!

We were too excited and forgot to take pictures at each place, but here are a couple!

Name:  46817ac7-2f36-4628-a020-5c0e4d793008.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  374.4 KB
    Name:  8774985c-f382-4a9b-b194-859b6860de2f.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  263.5 KB

Now, on to the beginning of the trip report…On Friday, June 11th, we started our morning early (like 3:00AM early), getting up and heading to the airport. For the most part, the trip was uneventful until just prior to landing. The pilot came on and said we were going to have to circle over the island for a while. Apparently, a storm had just passed through and was delaying the planes from landing. 2 planes had just landed, which left 3 planes still circling. We were third in line to land. This is when your first thought is…the line to immigration is going to be insane. However, quite to the contrary, MBJ did an excellent job getting everyone through. As a matter of fact, we made it through and out the local exit to meet our friend/driver in just 50 minutes.

The ride to Negril was wet…lots of rain and some flooding of the roads, but Bryan got us to our second home, Rondel Village, safely…just in time to change clothes and get to happy hour at 5:00. We hung out there with Delroy and the crew, then headed to Chicken Lavish for dinner and to see Doc. Dinner was excellent as usual. We always have the same meal on arrival day, Sweet and Sour Chicken for me and Curried Goat for Monty. We managed to stop briefly and Bar Negril when we saw that Rob and Lisa there and said hi to Kayla, then back to Rondel. Delroy was still tending bar so we had one more drink…then off to bed around 9:00 exhausted but happy!! I'll post more later!!

Name:  Rondel.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  2.71 MB
    Name:  Delroy.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  1.09 MB

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaica T-Shirt Trip Report

Saturday began like most of our days...Monty leaves around 6AM for his 6 mile walk, to Sandals and back, and I sleep until 7:30ish. We head to breakfast then hopefully, on the beach by 10:00. Rondel added a wonderful breakfast sandwich that I have been asking for...toasted bread, eggs, bacon, tomato and lettuce (if they have them). Delicious! We always sit at the bar at Rondel, instead of the restaurant, so we can be closer to the sea. Here is the view from the bar...Not bad at all!!
    Name:  IMG_3071.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  2.69 MBName:  IMG_3072.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  2.77 MB
    Name:  Breakfast Sandwich.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  1.05 MB

It is so quiet on the beach…too quiet. We still have our regular visits from the vendors. It seems as if there are more fruit vendors than ever before. They were all very nice and seemed to take “No” for an answer better than our last trip. I wish we had won the lottery though. I would try to buy something from everyone! After reading under our favorite almond tree for a while, it was time for a swim…or should I say float. It was really humid, which is to be expected this time of the year, but the water temperature was perfect!
    Name:  IMG_3120.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  1.76 MBName:  IMG_3122.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  1.89 MB
    Name:  IMG_3121.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  1.93 MB

Soon, it was time for a visit to Tony’s Hut. I really think Tony’s Hut and Sunnyside should have a competition to see whose beer is the coldest. It would be a very tight race!
    Name:  Tonys Hut.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  1.78 MBName:  Tonys Hut View.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  1.81 MB

We headed up to Sunnyside later to see Maureen but she wasn’t there. Robert was holding down the fort and providing the ice-cold beers. Our typical day is breakfast, beach, beach walk (to include Red Stripes) then dry off and head to Red Ground to Red Dragon and the amazing Collette! Today was no different!

Today was, also, Hope for Hunger delivery day! If you haven’t checked them out, you should. They have been accepting donations and making deliveries all through this Pandemic. For $20US, you can donate a bag of food to someone you know or just whomever needs it the most. Here is the picture of everything included in the bag…it’s quite a bit of food!!
    Name:  197544712_318247569869486_7461318900668141991_n.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  146.1 KB

Dinner this night was Kenny’s Italian. I know there are varying opinions about this place but we have always had a good meal. Service is iffy, but we enjoy the atmosphere. My biggest problem with Kenny’s is…Serve me a COLD Red Stripe. It’s doesn’t really cost any extra to make it cold. Sorry, I just had to say that! Back to Rondel and off to bed!

User Info Menu

After seeing all those smiling faces I was inclined to push the button and made a tee shirt order this morning. I also made a donation to Father Jim to help with his efforts and I challenge all of my Canadian friends to do so now. My only beef is with Rob....Rob, is that a Motts Clamato Cesar tee shirt you are wearing. Being a person of American heritage, that's almost an offence punishable by "keel hauling". A Clamato Cesar is what makes us Canadian. I suppose we could swear you in as an "honorary Canadian", Lisa being from Winnipeg and all.

User Info Menu

Great Pics! Looking at them, it seems like there's not alot of depth to the beach!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    Great Pics! Looking at them, it seems like there's not alot of depth to the beach!
    It must be the photographer (me) then because the beach was really deep this trip!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    After seeing all those smiling faces I was inclined to push the button and made a tee shirt order this morning. I also made a donation to Father Jim to help with his efforts and I challenge all of my Canadian friends to do so now. My only beef is with Rob....Rob, is that a Motts Clamato Cesar tee shirt you are wearing. Being a person of American heritage, that's almost an offence punishable by "keel hauling". A Clamato Cesar is what makes us Canadian. I suppose we could swear you in as an "honorary Canadian", Lisa being from Winnipeg and all.
    That's amazing! Thanks so much! We are needing to get to 25 shirts by the end of July so we can place an order.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Monty&Melo View Post
    Saturday began like most of our days...Monty leaves around 6AM for his 6 mile walk, to Sandals and back, and I sleep until 7:30ish. We head to breakfast then hopefully, on the beach by 10:00. Rondel added a wonderful breakfast sandwich that I have been asking for...toasted bread, eggs, bacon, tomato and lettuce (if they have them). Delicious! We always sit at the bar at Rondel, instead of the restaurant, so we can be closer to the sea. Here is the view from the bar...Not bad at all!!
    Name:  IMG_3071.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  2.69 MBName:  IMG_3072.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  2.77 MB
    Name:  Breakfast Sandwich.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  1.05 MB

It is so quiet on the beach…too quiet. We still have our regular visits from the vendors. It seems as if there are more fruit vendors than ever before. They were all very nice and seemed to take “No” for an answer better than our last trip. I wish we had won the lottery though. I would try to buy something from everyone! After reading under our favorite almond tree for a while, it was time for a swim…or should I say float. It was really humid, which is to be expected this time of the year, but the water temperature was perfect!
    Name:  IMG_3120.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  1.76 MBName:  IMG_3122.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  1.89 MB
    Name:  IMG_3121.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  1.93 MB

Soon, it was time for a visit to Tony’s Hut. I really think Tony’s Hut and Sunnyside should have a competition to see whose beer is the coldest. It would be a very tight race!
    Name:  Tonys Hut.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  1.78 MBName:  Tonys Hut View.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  1.81 MB

We headed up to Sunnyside later to see Maureen but she wasn’t there. Robert was holding down the fort and providing the ice-cold beers. Our typical day is breakfast, beach, beach walk (to include Red Stripes) then dry off and head to Red Ground to Red Dragon and the amazing Collette! Today was no different!

Today was, also, Hope for Hunger delivery day! If you haven’t checked them out, you should. They have been accepting donations and making deliveries all through this Pandemic. For $20US, you can donate a bag of food to someone you know or just whomever needs it the most. Here is the picture of everything included in the bag…it’s quite a bit of food!!
    Name:  197544712_318247569869486_7461318900668141991_n.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  146.1 KB

Dinner this night was Kenny’s Italian. I know there are varying opinions about this place but we have always had a good meal. Service is iffy, but we enjoy the atmosphere. My biggest problem with Kenny’s is…Serve me a COLD Red Stripe. It’s doesn’t really cost any extra to make it cold. Sorry, I just had to say that! Back to Rondel and off to bed!
    We would love to donate to the Hunger drive. Can someone please direct me? Love your report! Sounds a lot like our trips! We'll be there in November. So looking forward to seeing everyone! Enjoy your vacation!!!

User Info Menu

M&M,
    Please check for a private message from me. Thanks

User Info Menu

Excellent trip report, loving it!!

User Info Menu

Sunday started the same as Saturday. Due to the early curfew at 2:00, we decided this would be a NSD (No Shoe Day) and we spent the entire day on the beach! I can honestly say…there is something really relaxing about not having to go anywhere. We hit the local spots, Tony’s (with bartender Julie) and Sunnyside (with Robert...one day we will see Maureen but it gives us a reason to keep visiting), enjoyed walking the beach and I can’t forget watching this guy lifting weights on the beach. I wish I had gotten my phone out of my bag quicker. If you zoom in, you will see that he made a weight set out of a tree and cinder blocks. It was crazy watching him lift this for his routine. Maybe that’s why I couldn’t get the picture taken faster.
    Name:  IMG_3079.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  2.51 MB
    We enjoyed happy hour at Rondel with Delroy. It’s great to see him in action, smiling, singing and slinging drinks!! For dinner, we decided to have the Jerk Chicken Pizza and the Spring Rolls. Both were delicious! We stayed at the bar with him until the last person left then we said goodnight.