Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Green Flash

User Info Menu

Re: The Green Flash

I've only seen the green flash once at Ricks Cafe, oddly enough. I'd always though it was a myth until that day!

Weathermon & Mi Lady...what a wonderful painting & memory for you both. Ras Husmo is a beautiful soul & artist...I was lucky enough to be a recipient of a special painting from him also.

User Info Menu

We look forward to seeing him. Sometimes he's in Canada though and we don't connect. A few trips back, he and I sat under an umbrella at Sun Beach for quite a long time downing a few Stripes and solving most of the world's problems (This was before Covid, a tough one to solve). One year we bought a couple of abstracts from him and he says to me, "Robert, you know your gonna pay more to have these stretched, matted, and framed than you paid for the paintings." Boy was he right!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ol'yardie View Post
    Anybody here ever seen the green flash?
    I was at Crystal Waters, leaning on the fence next to Margaritaville, watching the sunset. Kamil, the Crystal Waters guard, walked over and stood with me. He said "Have you ever seen the green flash?" "No, just heard about it." We watched silently, cloudless and a big, bright sun and at the last light, it popped. We just looked at each other. He smiled and said "Did you see it?" "Yes indeed!" Another very cool Negril moment!!!!
    TennDD

User Info Menu

We were sitting on our rooftop in Treasure Beach... oh nevermind, just a bottle of Ting held up in frame... Hundreds of Negril sunset photos and have not seen a real one yet. But gosh darn it, I'm going to keep trying!

Name:  Jamaica 2012 074.JPG
Views: 863
Size:  5.31 MB

User Info Menu

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but what the are seeing and talking about here is not the "green flash". Please don't get me wrong, it doesn't take away the splendor of the pictures and of the painting. You ask anyone that has been to Negril and ask about their most memorable thing about Negril, pretty sure you'll get, "the sunsets" as the answer most of the time.

The last spectrum of light that the human eye see's is green. As the sun goes down, the very last tip of the sun is green, depending on cloud cover, moisture in the air, blah blah blah. "The green flash" is actually a flash, like a camera flash, above the last line of sun as it goes down. I have seen the flash, once in my navy days when I was 17-19 and once in Negril.

This isn't my picture but it shows the green flash;

Name:  Green Flash(1).jpg
Views: 695
Size:  240.8 KB

User Info Menu

Saw it once , my wife and I always look and never believed until a very colorless sunset a few years ago ,The sun disappeared and flash we both saw it so I knew it was real we looked at each other high-fived and hugged. Looking for it one time I saw the waves turn green just before the sun disappeared but it wasn’t really a flash

User Info Menu

at happy hours, sometimes I claim I can make anyone see the green flash....I give them a green heineken bottle and tell them to look at the sunset thru the bottle

User Info Menu

This is a nice “old school” thread
    We need more like this !

User Info Menu

Saw a green Chevy this morning on 95 south in Massachusetts w/ New Hampshire plates ,
    “ GRNFLSH “

User Info Menu

Wow! A rare morning sighting and no alcohol involved. Truly special!