Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Green Flash

User Info Menu

The Green Flash

Anybody here ever seen the green flash?

User Info Menu

Re: The Green Flash

Yes....I have...... but it was when I was lighting my spliff too close to my overproof rum..Ha! Ha!

User Info Menu

I have seen it twice in 30 some years. My validation was getting back home and seeing posts from people seeing it on the same night. There are a few different places people report seeing it, one being Key West. I’ve only seen it from the beach not the cliffs.

User Info Menu

I've seen it. On one trip a few years ago I saw it 3 or 4 times in a week. Otherwise have only seen it occasionally.

User Info Menu

Sure have…January 26, 2019. Watching the sunset at Sun Beach. MiLady must have had the right amount of rum and got a lucky shot. Showed the photo to our artist friend Ras Husmo. A few days later, Ras gave us a special gift, Name:  96C5DEF3-9DEF-43E8-B65E-65B7AB769C9D.jpeg
Views: 801
Size:  62.5 KBName:  2850944F-FCBF-4734-B4FE-B28D08EFB070.jpeg
Views: 990
Size:  3.90 MBName:  C70E7F75-0834-4A76-9CA7-4B1C580CFA7C.jpeg
Views: 962
Size:  2.21 MBName:  E3A65572-34ED-4E0B-99EC-2A62CA447C55.jpeg
Views: 923
Size:  3.58 MBthis little painting. It has a special place on our fireplace mantel.

User Info Menu

W &ML...great photo and wonderful painting. Now I know wasn't hallucinating when I was startled to see the green flash some years ago from the rocks at Sea Grape. I've only seen it once but I've always looked for it since. I've heard that you only can see it when there are absolutely no clouds between you and the horizon. As the sun hits the perfect angle to your eye the light streams through the top few feet of water like a prism for a split second.

User Info Menu

Actually....quite a few times. Always amazing. Weathermon, Great shot....we have a few paintings from Ras also, interesting gentleman.

User Info Menu

I've seen all sorts of things flash before my eyes in Negril, and not just at sunset !!

User Info Menu

I always thought that those who claimed of seeing the green flash had a nice buzz on. It was probably 20 plus years of going to Negril before I saw it. Now we always watch the sunset, every night if we can, and look for the green flash on a cloudless evening. Mi Lady's photographic acumen is apparent in the above pics. If it were me holding the camera, I would probably drop it in the sand. Anyway, I have seen the green flash several times...."It does exist!". WM

User Info Menu

We too always try to catch sunset. It's one of the highlights of Negril for us. I could swear I've seen the green flash in the past, but it happens so suddenly and rarely, that I wonder if it was just the booze / smoke, or did I really see that. Green flash or not, it's always the best time and place to be.