Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: American Airlines fills for bankruptcy protection

User Info Menu

American Airlines fills for bankruptcy protection

American Airlines have filled for bankruptcy protection, As it says in the link below the airline intends to operate normally

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/11/...or-bankruptcy/

User Info Menu

Up until now American and Southwest were the only US carriers that had not filled......at least it will put them on a level playing field vs the other airlines (after they re-negotiate the labor contracts)......and with other belt-tightening measures hopefully they will become profitable again...

User Info Menu

I'd like to see any profits sacrificed for lower air fares. Break even is just fine with me.

User Info Menu

No one can operate on break even......I would not continue working on breakeven in my business and neither should anyone else.......

User Info Menu

Companies actually do operate just to break even. Just look at any mutual insurance company. If they happen to make a profit, that profit is not distributed to shareholders. Instead they use it to strengthen their financial position and to lower premiums to gain more market share. I don't mind if capital stock companies make money. Obviously that's why they exist. Lower fares in exchange for less profit is fine with me. I'm not a shareholder, I'm a customer.