Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rum Cream quistion

User Info Menu

Rum Cream quistion

Is there a limit to how much you can bring back to the USA? Eons ago (2009) there was no limit since it was made in JA.
    Formerly SmokeySteve...but i lost my password.

User Info Menu

Re: Rum Cream quistion

I don't know about checked luggage but you can't carry it onboard. We once had 4 bottles of fish and meat sauce
    confiscated at security for our U.S. connecting flight because they were 4 oz. and the fluid limit is 3 oz. Now we order it on line.

User Info Menu

My understanding, correct or not, is that there is no limit to bringing it back to the States. Not because it is made in Jamaica, but because the alcohol content is so low. As Yardie alluded to, if purchased at MBJ, you can carry it onto the flight out of Jamaica. If you have a connecting flight in the USA, you must put it in your chacked bags at that first airport where you go through immigration. You will not be able to carry it onto that flight. If you have a direct flight, then no problem, Mon.
    Johio

User Info Menu

Here's a couple of links (I think) will answer your question...
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...checked%20bags.
    https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US

For passengers that are travelling with a connecting flight...you have an option of buying duty free alcohol in the airport without having to shove it into your checked luggage later. They'll seal your product in a special bag that may be carried on to the plane & is allowed to go through security.

User Info Menu

I have brought back as many as 8 bottles in my checked luggage. I declared at customs, and only got a chuckle.

User Info Menu

When returning from Jamaica, we connect in Atlanta. I have seen firsthand Rum Cream being confiscated even in the duty free packaging. Reason....it is not a clear liquid and therefore not allowed as carry on in Atlanta. We always re pack ours in our checked bags.

We do declare at Customs as we are clearly holding the bag, LOL! Pay particular attention to the 2nd sentence...

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) limits carry-on liquids to 3.4 ounces (100 ml), unless you purchased alcohol at a duty-free shop at the airport after clearing security. However, if you have a connecting flight within the U.S. and go through security again, then that bottle of alcohol you were initially allowed to carry on would have to be checked. To avoid this conundrum, wait until the last leg of a flight to buy duty-free alcohol.

https://www.travelchannel.com/intere...ol-into-the-US
    Last edited by jamaicajeanne; 07-07-2021 at 03:47 PM.

User Info Menu

We have a direct flight with SWA so i'm bringing an empty suitcase...lol
    Formerly SmokeySteve...but i lost my password.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamaicajeanne View Post
    When returning from Jamaica, we connect in Atlanta. I have seen firsthand Rum Cream being confiscated even in the duty free packaging. Reason....it is not a clear liquid and therefore not allowed as carry on in Atlanta. We always re pack ours in our checked bags.

We do declare at Customs as we are clearly holding the bag, LOL! Pay particular attention to the 2nd sentence...

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) limits carry-on liquids to 3.4 ounces (100 ml), unless you purchased alcohol at a duty-free shop at the airport after clearing security. However, if you have a connecting flight within the U.S. and go through security again, then that bottle of alcohol you were initially allowed to carry on would have to be checked. To avoid this conundrum, wait until the last leg of a flight to buy duty-free alcohol.

https://www.travelchannel.com/intere...ol-into-the-US
    It makes it much less of a concern if you pack your alcohol into your checked luggage!
    I've heard others say they had some problems with rum cream when the program was first started at duty free...but hadn't heard anything in the last year nor did I have any problems last summer bringing rum cream in myself.

Administrator

User Info Menu

From the TSA website:

If you purchased the alcohol overseas and have a connecting flight in the United States, the alcohol is allowed in your carry-on bag if;

The bottles are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer. Don’t try to sneak a swig! If the bag looks opened or tampered with, then it won’t be allowed to fly in your carry-on bag.
    Keep the receipt! You must show that the alcohol was purchased within the last 48 hours.

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2019/06/21/...veling-alcohol
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Rum Cream quistion

Quote Originally Posted by rustedduck View Post
    I have brought back as many as 8 bottles in my checked luggage. I declared at customs, and only got a chuckle.
    I once had 12 bottles of cream and 2 bottles or Rum. The Customs officer said "What else?!" I cringed and said "A tee shirt." He just shook his head and waived me through. I'm glad I was honest.