Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: t-shirt

User Info Menu

t-shirt

Forgive my ignorance if this question has already been answered but I am wondering how the businesses were chosen that are listed on the back?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: t-shirt

Excellent question which hasn't been asked so far on the Board. We have seen too many businesses forced to close in the past 18 months. In retrospect we should have done this sooner and faster but we think the results have helped the small businesses immensely.

It all started with an idea to create an online store to sell individual small business t-shirts in one place. But the logistics would have been a nightmare, the profit margins too small and the proceeds to the businesses would be giving the "most popular" businesses the bulk of the sales. So we ruled this idea out and re-tooled our thinking.

The idea of a multi-small business shirts came into play. But rather than "selling a shirt" we decided to make it a contribution large enough to provide each small business with a large share of each contribution, the shirts then became complementary and would be printed in limited editions. We initially were thinking separate beach and cliff contributions and had about 50 businesses on the list.

We soon realized that two campaigns running at the same time would cannibalize the contributions making the total amount any one small business would receive not very supportive. These were all places struggling to survive and so we focused on a single contribution for the small businesses. We abandoned the dual shirt concept and designed a single contribution shirt.

From the 50 or so businesses we started with, we began to determine the ones that most deserved to be on the shirt and receive the contributions. The small business had to be well established, ones that helped make Negril the place that people want to come back to. It had to be Negril owned and operated and highly dependent on tourism. And living here for 30 years allows me to know the families as well as the businesses and who would help out the most people with their contributions.

Once we narrowed it down, to benefit the entire community, we wanted to ask Father Jim if we could set up a separate donation for Saint Anthony's Kitchen. After explaining our concept, he said that it was about time that someone helped out the struggling small businesses. And he made the first contribution then and there without hesitation. We felt we were on the right track.

We then proceeded to get permission from each small business and they all asked how much it would cost. It was fun explaining that there was no cost, and in fact they didn't need to do a thing other than wait and try to survive. We did have a couple small businesses that told us that they were doing okay and they suggested other small businesses that they felt needed it more than they did. We used a couple of their ideas.

I am sure that this is more than you intended to hear, but this is how we arrived with the businesses listed on the back, as well as Karl Ricketts, the artist whose painting graces the front of the shirt.

Once again - thanks for all the support and there is still time to contribute to the cause at https://negrilstore.com
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob.

User Info Menu

What a great program!! I hope that with everyone getting so close to returning they will want to have their shirt showing their support. Let’s make the final order and donations the biggest yet!! It will most likely be the only source of support until tourism begins to pick up in the fall.

User Info Menu

Thank you for your time and explanation. Kudos to all involved in this noble and worthy cause. And to those businesses who passed on this opportunity to those "who needed it more". Speaks volumes about the nature of the Jamaican people. Soon come to help out in person

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for the explanations Rob! I was sure you had given this a lot of thought, but good to know about all the details and care involved!

Two more t-shirts just ordered and also will support in person soon! Can't wait to be back after 1 year and 8 long months! Hope the shirts will arrive at the indicated shipping address in the US by August 7. If so, I should get them in Negril a few days later, avoiding the detour via Europe.
    Last edited by Reggae_Girl98; 07-11-2021 at 07:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey Rob…

Any chance I can pick one up this week or next in Negril? We will be staying at the Rockhouse and Skylark for 10 days. No reason to waste shipping if it works.

Administrator

User Info Menu

The shirts are only available by ordering them online. There is no "stock" in Negril.

The final batch are set to be printed on August 2nd.

Thanks for asking.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks. Just ordered and added some for the soup kitchen. We always enjoy visiting with Fr. Jim and he does some great work.

Harb