Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Fluorescent Jellyfish

User Info Menu

Fluorescent Jellyfish

Anybody here ever see them? There must be a story or two out there.

User Info Menu

Re: Fluorescent Jellyfish

Never seen one but they look pretty cool. I have seen and swum with these moon jellies at Catcha. As long as the sea is calm, they are easy to avoid.

Name:  GOPR0534_Moment.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  2.42 MB

User Info Menu

Years ago staying and swimming at blue cave castle, I got stung by a jellyfish. I’m thinking… am I going to be paralyzed or something stupid. Crawled up the ladder and went looking for Fuzzy. He put together a Jamaican ointment of tobacco and who knows what. The pain disappeared right away. One ice cold red stripe for Fuzzy and I was on my way…..

User Info Menu

One time at Sea Grape we had a similar situation with my stepson. The housekeeper, Miss Barbara, immediately called for
    "the Old Fisherman's Remedy." She said, "you must wee on it." Relief for him was immediate. Without going into the gory
    details, the active ingredient in The Old Fisherman's Remedy is ammonia. P.S. It also works for urchin stabs.

User Info Menu

one night after leaving Miss Brown"s , the whole beach was aglow with what 'musta been fluorescent jellyfish !

User Info Menu

John, are you sure it was the beach that was all aglow?

User Info Menu

Everyting glows after leaving Ms. Brown's !

User Info Menu

Bioluminescent creatures , both land and sea , have always fascinated me . I spend most evenings in Jamaica on the porch looking at the sea . We have had many , "what the heck was that " moments , but can not say it was jellyfish . Lot's of sea creatures have this unique feature . Luminous Lagoon in Falmouth certainly is a trip worth taking .

User Info Menu

In my case I was on the porch of the South Pillar at Tensing Pen, basically perched right over the water as it got dark. Gradually my eye was drawn to a faint, methodical twinkling which had begun to appear and seemed to be near the surface of the water just out from the rocks. I have been in Negril during firefly time and I assumed I was in for a magical treat once again. Soon I realized that
    there were no other fireflies coming out as it got darker, yet the display below me continued. I scrambled down the rocks to the waters edge to have a closer look. The inlet there was covered with little glowing jellies, turning themselves on and off like tiny neon signs. Fifteen minutes later the show was over.

Lightning does indeed strike twice. On a later trip we were at Catcha and carried our drinks down to the level closest to the water. We struck up a conversation with another couple there and somewhere along the way I mentioned the glowing jellies. Just then my wife tapped me and said "look!", pointing down at the water. Sure enough there they were as though in a command performance.

Sometimes Negril can provide magical moments.