Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another way to answer...

User Info Menu

Re: Another way to answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Lax1724 View Post
    My conclusions are based on how many people have died from Covid and do not include how many people have died because of Covid lockdowns (suicides, overdoses, lack of screening, etc.). Transmission rates are highest indoors yet, we are forcing people in doors. Is a zero mortality rate an achievable goal? Is that what we are shooting for?
    FWIW, while right wing media frequently mentions how suicides could increase because of the reduction measures, the actual statistics show suicides have generally DECREASED during COVID.

Zero would be great, but the goal is to REDUCE the deaths bu any number greater than zero. The more people don't die, the better.

Vaccines will help the most -- but until those are readily available to all (long way off in Jamaica) we have to stick with ALL the tools that we have -- distancing, masking, hand sanitizing, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jambarney View Post
    Quick question , if the masks and vaccines and lockdowns are working so well , then why are we still at this point nearly 2 YEARS later?
    Because some places, like Jamaica, the vaccine is not readily available. And in places where the vaccines are readily available, not everyone is smart like you and has been vaccinated -- and even in those places, the unvaccinated tend to hang out unmasked in clusters and communities of the unmasked and then unvaccinated and that's NOT the same as a homogenous mix (that's often assumed when "herd immunity" is mentioned).

It's fine if you still believe the masks are an effective strategy, go ahead and wear it if it makes you feel comfortable , but why be so aggressive about it or to someone that might have a differing view point or just raises a question?
    Because, like second hand smoke, what people do around me affects MY health. When I see someone unmasked in a place where distancing is not possible, I have to assume (for my safety and that of my family and my co-workers, etc.) that that the umasked person doesn't care about others and is probably unvaccinated as well, and probably hangs out with other unvaccinated and unmasked people. Many of those assumptions are probably wrong more often than not -- but I have no choice. I wear a mask more as a courtesy for others than I do to protect myself. The "others" include staff -- some of whom may have family too young to be vaccinated.

It's to the point you can't have a different opinion without being chastised , name called
    I try not to name call -- notice I use "unvaccinated" instead of the terms that I normally use in conversation.

People ARE entitled to their own opinions. People ARE NOT entitled to their own science.

Or to put it bluntly as many others seem to do , if you want to wear a mask cool do your thing but don't get in my face about it. You do you and I'll do me.
    Bluntly:

If you don't want to wear a mask, you should stay away from others.

If you don't want to wear a mask, don't go to places that require them. Much like wearing a shirt and shoes in an establishment with a sign that says "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service".

User Info Menu

There are studies that show that cloth masks do not do much to stop COVID spread they only stop larger particles… surgical masks are better .. respirators are the most effective
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamman View Post
    There are studies that show that cloth masks do not do much to stop COVID spread they only stop larger particles… surgical masks are better .. respirators are the most effective

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marke...test-1.5795481

User Info Menu

Great article thanks !
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

Thanks Pachenas for your response and calling me out directly but I wasn't looking for a tit for tat type of deal , that's why I didn't single out anyone's post in my original and why I won't post again in this thread. I appreciate your vast paste and copy expertise of all things covid , mitigation , and science , we are so lucky to have such an expert posting on the board. Your assumptions , concerns and directives about where I travel and whom I around are duly noted. I will give your post about as much consideration as I will my next drink of cold redstripe beer. Have a great day and once again you do you and I'll do me.

Administrator

User Info Menu

IslandLynn,

Your last post was removed for blatant name calling as well as other issues.

Please tone down the rhetoric...

Thank you.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Right this is your castle. Got it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamman View Post
    Agree 100%.

COVID travels on liquid droplets, most of which are captured by most masks.

So, even a mediocre mask is better than no mask. And a properly worn mediocre mask is much better than a poorly worn surgical mask.

Exhaust valve type masks are an exception -- they do NOTHING to prevent the spread (protect the wearer only) and aren't approved for wearing while flying (at least in Canada).

User Info Menu

At the end of the day, can we trust anything that we read or hear? My gut tells me, no. That is where critical thinking comes in. We all have the ability to use it but it is easier to just listen to what we are being told and then regurgitate it on social media than it is to put in the effort to really try to understand what is happening. It is also much easier to attack people with opposing views than it is to try to understand where they are coming from. The irony is that Negril is a place for me to go to get away from my every day life. Now, I'm being told I should cancel my vacation because someone doesn't like my views. Jeez.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]