Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another way to answer...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Another way to answer...

I have been asked my impressions of how things have been going during the Dream Weekend parties and now with the new curfew hours. My general feeling is that many people in Negril are struggling to the point of resigning themselves to learn to live with Covid. The stress, tension, lack of money and jobs is real and is coming to a boiling point.

In the Observer today, a friend of mine, Ryan Morrison expressed essentially the same ideas, but in a much more economic way. Here is his quote:

"Morrison, a former banker, argued: “If a man has a business place and he places his house on the line by using it for a mortgage, his car is on the line, his investment is on the line, his investment is 100 per cent on the line and the recovery rate of COVID is 95 per cent. So, I have a five per cent chance of dying, but I have a 100 per cent chance of losing my house; I am going to take the chance with the COVID.

Through our small business contribution project, we have been able to help several small business remain open as well as provide thousands of US$ for St. Anthony's Kitchen. There will be more news coming shortly about this project, so please, if you are able, contribute to the cause at https://negrilstore.com

Here is a link to the full article:

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/ente...ut-west_228491
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Another way to answer...

The whole world has lost sight of the fact that the mortality rate from Covid is much, much, much lower than was anticipated at the start, when we knew very little about the virus. In the US, the mortality rate is less than 1% but you would never know it. More people are dying from heart disease on a daily basis than Covid but, yet here we sit with the majority of people scared to death and leaders who don't seem interested in letting people know what is really happening. I'll be visiting from the states in December and I can't wait to get away from Dr. Fauci for a week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lax1724 View Post
    The whole world has lost sight of the fact that the mortality rate from Covid is much, much, much lower than was anticipated at the start, when we knew very little about the virus. In the US, the mortality rate is less than 1% but you would never know it. More people are dying from heart disease on a daily basis than Covid but, yet here we sit with the majority of people scared to death and leaders who don't seem interested in letting people know what is really happening. I'll be visiting from the states in December and I can't wait to get away from Dr. Fauci for a week.
    Totally agree with you but am always afraid to speak up. Love you for saying this. Meanwhile 4 year olds are being forced to wear masks but that’s a different conversation. We can’t wait for our trip.

User Info Menu

Lax1724, what mortality rate is acceptable? Let me guess: not vaccinated, high risk and ready to roll the dice? I hear Hedo is running red hot last minute booking specials.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lax1724 View Post
    Some VERY wrong conclusions with that statement.

Doesn't take into effect those that spend weeks in hospital and ICU's recovering from COVID -- taking away hospital beds and resources from those that need the beds and resources for other urgent needs (accidents, other serious illnesses). Some people are dying due to COVID without actually contracting the disease!

Doesn't take into effect long haulers -- who haven't died of the illness, but are still suffering (and unable to work, etc) months after not dying (even though they didn't contribute to the mortality numbers, they haven't recovered).

Doesn't take into account the differences in available ICU bed (etc) in USA vs JA.

The "what is really happening" comment is very inappropriate. What's really happening is that Jamaican hospitals are filling up:

According to Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Health and Wellness, Dunstan Bryan, the situation has forced them to recall some healthcare workers from vacation, particularly for the western region, which is the hardest hit.

From the Gleaner on Aug 9:

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...ealth-ministry

"Data from the health ministry has revealed that admissions at the University Hospital of the West Indies are at 100 per cent; Cornwall Regional Hospital is at 110 per cent; Spanish Town Hospital is at 160 per cent; May Pen Hospital is at 108 per cent; Mandeville Hospital is at 160 per cent; Sav-la-mar Hospital is 167 per cent and St Ann’s Bay Hospital is at 135 per cent."

Administrator

User Info Menu

The government may have a hard time "calling back" some of the doctors. Please read the full article from the Observer yesterday for whole story...

Doctors Depart

More than half of the 143 doctors who were last month left jobless after their contracts with State-run facilities were not renewed have moved on to brighter prospects, even as the Government — now faced with caseloads which outmatch manpower — says it is heading to Cabinet to get approval to create more posts.

Jamaica Medical Doctors Association (JMDA) President Dr Mindi Fitz-Henley told the Jamaica Observer yesterday that a number of the axed medics have left the country, others have found jobs outside of the public sector, while some were taken back by the Government. She said only 52 doctors of the 143 still remain unemployed.

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/fron...dispute_228490
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Wow that is not good news for the Doctor situation in JA … I hope something can be done to improve that … I wished their was more balanced messaging on this also .. If you catch this get treatment early don’t wait especially elderly or underlying conditions..
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

My conclusions are based on how many people have died from Covid and do not include how many people have died because of Covid lockdowns (suicides, overdoses, lack of screening, etc.). Transmission rates are highest indoors yet, we are forcing people in doors. Is a zero mortality rate an achievable goal? Is that what we are shooting for?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

I can only assume you have lost no one to this very real, world wide, pandemic. In which case you are very lucky. Many of us are not so lucky. You will probably not enjoy the protocols put in place by the Jamaican Health Ministry. They are based on a balance of science (you know Fauci like) and the needs of the Jamaican people. We have visited 3 times since the pandemic began and each time have been extremely impressed with how hard everyone worked to keep tourists safe. Unless more people will vaccinate this is never going away and Jamaica as we know it can’t survive. And yes everyone is tired of Covid!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
    I can only assume you have lost no one to this very real, world wide, pandemic. In which case you are very lucky. Many of us are not so lucky. You will probably not enjoy the protocols put in place by the Jamaican Health Ministry. They are based on a balance of science (you know Fauci like) and the needs of the Jamaican people. We have visited 3 times since the pandemic began and each time have been extremely impressed with how hard everyone worked to keep tourists safe. Unless more people will vaccinate this is never going away and Jamaica as we know it can’t survive. And yes everyone is tired of Covid!
    I think you can be fully vaccinated and compliant with all the protocols but still be in disagreement. In my opinion the strict mandates that are required for the vaccinated now will make people think twice about getting it. But that’s just my opinion. The Jamaican people are desperate for normalcy as the protocols are affecting them economically and emotionally. I understand the reason for having them but like I said before there is a breaking point.