Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Negril rate of infection

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Negril rate of infection

See you tomorrow!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

rob...check me on this...the CDC warning is based island-wide numbers (28.4%positive monday) and makes no distinction for the covid resilient corridor (1.04% positive monday per Gleaner) which “houses 85% of the island’s tourism product and less than 1% of the population.” in negril these past few weeks all we’ve seen are local folks working hard to comply and keep everyone safe. it seems to be working so far

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nola2negril View Post
    rob...check me on this...the CDC warning is based island-wide numbers (28.4%positive monday) and makes no distinction for the covid resilient corridor (1.04% positive monday per Gleaner) which “houses 85% of the island’s tourism product and less than 1% of the population.” in negril these past few weeks all we’ve seen are local folks working hard to comply and keep everyone safe. it seems to be working so far
    Yes, the Resilient Corridor seems to be the shining spot in an otherwise gloomy situation. The locals in the Corridor are working very diligently to comply with all the protocols.

There is a major "blitz" being made for tourism workers to get vaccinated today and tomorrow at Sandals. While not mandatory, I have yet to talk with a tourism worker who does not want the vaccine. So look for the vaccination rate to increase dramatically in the next few days.

And while yesterday's numbers are not out yet, the rate on Tuesday was 42.2% positivity in testing. Since not all the tourism workers live in the Resilient Corridor, the island wide infection rate is the one the CDC should use.

Until recently very few people in or around Negril were getting Covid. But in the last few weeks we have had friends who have succumbed to the virus. That is one of the reasons behind the Sandals vaccine blitz. We want to keep the Corridor numbers very very low to keep our visitors and tourism workers safe.

Barring the No-Movement days, which seem to be driving me slowly crazy, the reasoning behind the need for the tourism workers to be vaccinated is the same reasoning for our upcoming visitors (until the rate of infections decrease) to also be vaccinated.

And the numbers for yesterday just came in - a 32.5% testing positivity rate - another sign in the right direction.

Administrator

User Info Menu

The Sandals vaccine Blitz was highly efficient. And I was hand sanitized each time I entered a new area!

Courtesy and even some humor made it an actual pleasurable experience.

Took the J&J, still have about 5 more minutes to wait as they monitor each of us for any adverse reactions.

Total time so far about 20 minutes.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Done!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Done!
    Welcome to the club Rob! I'm truly glad to hear it.

User Info Menu

Great news. Let hope the vaccination rate increases dramatically. We still have our trip planed for the first week of December. The wife and I each received our booster shot this week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_nyc View Post
    I can see the rate of infection for Jamaica in the NY Times but does anyone know what it is for Negril or Westmoreland? I am guessing Kingston and Montego Bay must have a higher rate than Negril. Just looking for one more reason to go...
    Go! I was in Jamaica and stuck for 3 months when Covid started. Best thing that happened for me and my children! We were safe! I came in early March 2020 and left in June 2020. Have been back several times since and stayed whole month of June 2021. I live in Florida and it is horrible here! My kids and I just got over having Covid for the first time since this all started. They got it at school the first week back! Jamaica does a great job of trying to keep things clean (airports, restaurants, grocery stores etc) with masks and sanitizing. Huge difference between MBJ airport and US airports! I wish I was in Westmoreland right now!!! I want to be able to come one day and live there and not come back to the US. Jamaica is so healing! Go! Respect! Enjoy! One Love ❤