Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Covid test to come back from Jamaica

User Info Menu

Covid test to come back from Jamaica

From what I’ve been reading I am going to have to take a covid test before I leave Negril. My question is are they giving the tests at the resort or the airport or what? We’re going thanksgiving week to RIU place tropical bay.

User Info Menu

Re: Covid test to come back from Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Mrrockydog View Post
    From what I’ve been reading I am going to have to take a covid test before I leave Negril. My question is are they giving the tests at the resort or the airport or what? We’re going thanksgiving week to RIU place tropical bay.
    Just in case you don't know or for others to be aware...to enter into Jamaica you need a negative Antigen or PCR Covid test. For further information about the current entry requirements...go to... https://www.visitjamaica.com/travelauthorization/

To exit/fly out of Jamaica...
    if you're from the US or UK...you'll have to have a negative Antigen test (much cheaper) or negative PCR test.
    If you're from Canada...you'll have to get a negative PCR test.

I'm not sure if the Riu Tropical Bay is providing free Antigen testing...many of the AI's have been. PCR testing because of the cost, has not been provided free anywhere that I've noticed.
    Check with the Riu...they deal with testing every single day...they'll set the testing up for you.

Further info...
    There's testing sights available all over Negril.
    Your hotels can easily make an appointment for you...many testers will come right to your hotel property.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 09-22-2021 at 11:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Be aware and make sure you are on top of the newest changes if you are a US citizen. If you are vaccinated, you have to have the the test done within 3 days before re entry to the US as it has been stated here multiple times. What is new is that if you aren't vaccinated, that will soon turn into a 24 hour time period. This will make it more challenging and stressful to travel as there is not much room for error with that short window. Also you will need to test again upon re entry to the US if you are not vaccinated. I haven't heard any dates yet when this will start and how the testing on arrival in the US will be handled, but traveling and not being vaccinated if you are a US citizen will not be as pleasant with these upcoming changes.

User Info Menu

As an FYI. I am currently in Negril at Home Sweet Home. To go back to the US, rapid antigen. They can do it at the airport for $50 USD. There are also several sites in town. In Feb i just went to the airport and had it done. This trip, i have opted to have it done prior to departure just in case of a breakthrough positive so more time to make arrangements prior to getting to MoBay. HSH has set up a nurse to come administer the rapid a day prior to my departure. $60 USD with same day results. No problem!!!

User Info Menu

I won't be traveling until February. I know Canadians need a PCR test to come home. Is an Antigen test good for travel to Jamaica? I was wondering because it is much cheaper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ger View Post
    I won't be traveling until February. I know Canadians need a PCR test to come home. Is an Antigen test good for travel to Jamaica? I was wondering because it is much cheaper.
    Ger...if you read my post #2 in this thread it explains what you need to enter Jamaica.
    You can get the cheaper Antigen test for entry into Jamaica...make sure you visit the website https://www.visitjamaica.com/travelauthorization/
    for all your entry requirements & updates.

User Info Menu

Thanks Bnewb, I'm glad to hear an Antigen is good enough for Canadians for entry to Jamaica. I was kind of thinking Canadians needed a PCR both ways. It would be nice if Canada went to an Antigen test to be good for entry.
    Last edited by ger; 09-26-2021 at 04:11 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree ger. Since I am fully vaccinated and may even get a booster, why I would need a PCR instead of an Antigen to come home is nuts. BUT, we no longer have to go into the "Covid Prison" for 3 days so that's good.
    Irie Sue