Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: carry on rules MoBay to US?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

carry on rules MoBay to US?

Hi
    Before the pandemic I was in Jamaica. I went through security with a carry on bag only. I had two pounds of coffee, they took the coffee and said I could only carry beans back, not ground and I was over the limit. They took my coffee and I was soooo sad. What are the rules so I can avoid this on my next trip? soon come.
    thanks
    Mel

User Info Menu

Re: carry on rules MoBay to US?

Security leaving JA or reentering US?

User Info Menu

leaving JA to US

User Info Menu

Following. We carry back at least 12 pounds per visit and it’s all ground. When we are over weight we move some to carry on. We’ve never been searched but had no idea there was a limit on ground coffee.

User Info Menu

I believe these rules changed with the Trump administration because I was in a gift shop at the airport buying spices and the girls told me the same thing working in the shop but I wasn’t sure they were still under these restrictions I was thinking it was for spices and not coffee

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

thank you so much I did not know!!

User Info Menu

that's interesting I was there during Trump in 2019 and that's when they took my coffee! but I guess I will buy beans to be safe.

User Info Menu

We had four bottles of Grace Fish & Meat Sauce confiscated once while changing planes in Florida from international arrival to domestic connection. Turns out each bottle is 4 1/2 oz. Pained me to see them trashed. I've also had ground coffee (including an open bag) taken and swabbed for explosives after carry-on x-ray (in Houston). They were returned and I was told it was because ground coffee looks like explosives on the x-ray signature.

User Info Menu

That is so sad! I had my Grace guava jam confiscated and I understand that, but I was so sad about that. Yes I am only talking about carry-on from Jamaica going through the customs security at the MoBay airport. If you check your bags it’s no problem. I just do carry on these days.

QUOTE=ol'yardie;223265]We had four bottles of Grace Fish & Meat Sauce confiscated once while changing planes in Florida from international arrival to domestic connection. Turns out each bottle is 4 1/2 oz. Pained me to see them trashed. I've also had ground coffee (including an open bag) taken and swabbed for explosives after carry-on x-ray (in Houston). They were returned and I was told it was because ground coffee looks like explosives on the x-ray signature.[/QUOTE]