Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Medivac ?

User Info Menu

Medivac ?

Hello,
    I have heard people speak about Medivac insurance, in case something happens while we are in Negril. We have a trip planned for January 2022, and I am wondering if anyone can provide more information on this, perhaps the name or a link to a reputable travel insurance company someone has used before.

Thanks,
    Phil

User Info Menu

Re: Medivac ?

Many people talk about trip insurance that includes medical coverage and medevac. This may cover a lot more than medevac and is bought for each trip. This frequently includes coverage for the cost of the trip if cancelled due to a hurricane, sickness prior to trip, and many other things. We find this fairly expensive and don't buy it.

There is also medevac only. We use Med Jet for that. If we are on a trip anywhere and are admitted to a hospital it will cover sending us to our home hospital. This is yearly coverage with multi-year options. If we come down sick we have to pay for things out of pocket including the hospital cost until the evacuation happens. We can apply for this to be reimbursed by our home health insurance. Their link is MedJetAssist.com.

User Info Menu

Allianz travel insurance was very helpful/beneficial when my wife suffered a stroke in Negril.
    They flew her to one of the top 5 stroke/trauma centers in the US. When my wife was released we were unable to get tickets home
    as this was during the time the 737 planes got grounded. Within 1 day Allianz had both of us first class tickets back home.

User Info Menu

We (wife and me) have bought a policy from Alliance for our 3-4 month stay. Price was the best we could find . I think we paid $225.00 for our
    3 month stay this time. There is also a cheaper plan which also might work for some.

User Info Menu

Medjet is only good for a 30 day or less trip.

User Info Menu

I normally purchase Allianz with full coverage. I believe in Aug it was $134 for 10 days. I actually didn’t this trip . I used it 3 yes ago on my husband as he fell down . I sent the bill in with pictures of his head. We were reimbursed in 2 or 3 weeks.

User Info Menu

Go to squaremouth.com for a listing and quotes from a multitude of insurance companies. It makes comparisons very easy.

User Info Menu

#5 Irie John - I saw an option for expat option which is up to 180 days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Marcia View Post
    #5 Irie John - I saw an option for expat option which is up to 180 days.
    I'll go back and check that. Thank you!