Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Covid travel update for Canada - Omicron variant

User Info Menu

Re: Covid travel update for Canada - Omicron variant

Bnewb, it was asked but didn’t see an answer. Is their a rapid PCR testing location in Negril or Mbj? A Canadian here that is curious. I do know they standard PCR tests seem to be coming back within 24 hours from what I have heard from fellow Canadians.
    Puerto Vallarta Jan 1999, Punta Cana 02, Ocho Rios 04, Cuba Breezes Jibacoa Jan 06, Mayan GORM Dec 06, Cozumel Grand Cozumel Jan 08, Mayan Akumal Beach Resort Jan 09, Negril Couples Negril Dec 09, Mayan ABR Oct 10/12/13/15, Negril CSA Dec 10/11/12/13/15/16/17/18/19/20/21/22

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stonyplainclint View Post
    Bnewb, it was asked but didn’t see an answer. Is their a rapid PCR testing location in Negril or Mbj? A Canadian here that is curious. I do know they standard PCR tests seem to be coming back within 24 hours from what I have heard from fellow Canadians.
    Directly from the Visitjamaica.com website....

When will I receive my results?

The PCR test results will be sent directly to you via the email address provided when booking. Results will be emailed between 24 to 48 hours from when the sample was collected.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob- We are staying at the BHC and I'm assuming they wont have testing available. Any suggestions?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mfreizin View Post
    Yes it is going to be within 24 hours by next week. Rob which sites have 24 hour turnaround?
    For USA, it's been clarified as a day, versus 24 hours.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.

"Timing Requirements" of this page:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info bnewb. We will keep watching & making sure we're up on the current requirements when we get closer to our travel date.
    Hedo Negril '07 Hedo Ochi '08 Couples Negril & Riu Ochi '10 Firefly & iberostar Rose Hall Beach '12 Firefly & Samsara '14 Samsara & CocolaPalm '16 CocolaPalm & Couples Negril '17 Treehouse & Catcha & Couples Negril '22

Coming in from the cold...

User Info Menu

Rob, I had H1N1 ( when it was THE problem) which lasted 6 weeks but it was not that bad. If we are double and triple vaxed then I say - BOOK your trip. It took me a while because I , too, was cancelled twice (gov't of Can), and hope that I can go this time.
    Irie Sue

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Rob, I had H1N1 ( when it was THE problem) which lasted 6 weeks but it was not that bad. If we are double and triple vaxed then I say - BOOK your trip. It took me a while because I , too, was cancelled twice (gov't of Can), and hope that I can go this time.
    That is kinda my point. When you had H1N1, it was a problem, not the deadly Spanish Flu that killed approximately 3% of the global population. In today's population, that would be well over 200 million people. In comparison, Covid has taken the lives of 5.3 million people.

H1N1 was a nasty flu when you had it, but in 1918 it was a global killer. Viruses mutate into less deadly forms because it is not in their best interest to kill their hosts.

Get vaxxed and come on down! Jamaica is starting its booster shot program and I will be getting my booster hopefully this week!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Sunwing cancelled our friends flight from Nova Scotia for the end of January.

User Info Menu

Things have changed since yesterday. This is the latest advice on the Gov't of Canada Web site

COVID-19 - Global travel advisory
    Effective date: December 15, 2021

Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada.

This advisory overrides all other advisories on this page, with the exception of those where we advise against all travel. Continue to avoid all cruise ship travel outside of Canada.

Jamaica
    Last updated: December 15, 2021 14:49 ET

Still valid: December 16, 2021 07:09 ET

Latest updates: Risk level(s) - Avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Politics aside (please, no more), but according to the actual doctors handling the actual cases of this new strain, Omicron spreads easily but has much reduced symptoms. Body aches seem to be the worst.

Viruses have existed millions of years and mutate into a version that allows it to spread but not kill its hosts. Without hosts, the virus would cease to exist. Viruses want to exist.

The flu of 1918 that killed a much larger percentage of the global population than Covid, is now known as the H1N1 virus. We all have probably already had and certainly exposed to to H1N1. Viruses eventually mutate into forms that all them to thrive and spread, but not kill their hosts.

We could be seeing the beginning of this evolution. The global knee jerk reaction is in no way helping South Africa.

I wish those that say that they follow the science would truly follow the science.
    Nicely said Rob