Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should We Go, or Should We Stay?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Should We Go, or Should We Stay?

Quote Originally Posted by BethAnn38 View Post
    It’s too bad not all forums follow your policy Rob! You rock.
    That is why we've been around since 1995....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

"I think masks are just plain dumb and avoid them at all costs."

I respectfully disagree. I agree that they're probably don't do much good outdoors (except maybe in a large packed crowd outside), but I do think they can work inside. It's true that the virus particles are smaller than the openings in the mask, so a mask won't prevent individual airborne particles from getting through, but they do prevent - or greatly diminish - small particles of saliva that we all expel when talking. From my limited understanding, the dose of virus is important, so a single airborne virus probably isn't sufficient to infect someone. However, those spit particles can be full of virus, so that's where I think masks can help prevent transmission - especially from the person wearing the mask.

Here's the first paragraph of the conclusion from a peer-reviewed article titled 'An evidence review of face masks against COVID-19' (Proceedings from the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America):

"Our review of the literature offers evidence in favor of widespread mask use as source control to reduce community transmission: Nonmedical masks use materials that obstruct particles of the necessary size; people are most infectious in the initial period postinfection, where it is common to have few or no symptoms (45, 46, 141); nonmedical masks have been effective in reducing transmission of respiratory viruses; and places and time periods where mask usage is required or widespread have shown substantially lower community transmission."

Administrator

User Info Menu

ChipS,

Lighten up man, other than indoor locations such as HiLo or a cambio or fast food INDOOR restaurant will anyone currently take your temperature or require masking. ANYTHING indoor will require both.

So...... your concern about the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America studies are being dealt with both masking AND temperature going above and beyond the requirements. .

People can say that they disagree with masking, but you cannot avoid it in enclosed areas in Negril. It is the law....

Chill man, chill....

User Info Menu

I’m already dreaming of being able to walk into the HiLo with my mask, temp check and spritz of disinfectant! Soon come and no worries! Except about the Red Stripe shortage!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

The Red Stripe shortage seems to be selective..... hmmmmm.....

User Info Menu

I was responding to another post. I'm not against wearing masks indoors and am glad to hear that indoor locations in Negril are taking appropriate measures to help prevent transmission.

User Info Menu

Sorry to say ,

We are postponing till April. Good luck everyone ! We'll be floating in the warm ocean before you know it !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChipS View Post
    "I think masks are just plain dumb and avoid them at all costs."

I respectfully disagree. I agree that they're probably don't do much good outdoors (except maybe in a large packed crowd outside), but I do think they can work inside. It's true that the virus particles are smaller than the openings in the mask, so a mask won't prevent individual airborne particles from getting through, but they do prevent - or greatly diminish - small particles of saliva that we all expel when talking. From my limited understanding, the dose of virus is important, so a single airborne virus probably isn't sufficient to infect someone. However, those spit particles can be full of virus, so that's where I think masks can help prevent transmission - especially from the person wearing the mask.

Here's the first paragraph of the conclusion from a peer-reviewed article titled 'An evidence review of face masks against COVID-19' (Proceedings from the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America):

"Our review of the literature offers evidence in favor of widespread mask use as source control to reduce community transmission: Nonmedical masks use materials that obstruct particles of the necessary size; people are most infectious in the initial period postinfection, where it is common to have few or no symptoms (45, 46, 141); nonmedical masks have been effective in reducing transmission of respiratory viruses; and places and time periods where mask usage is required or widespread have shown substantially lower community transmission."
    I 100% respect your disagreement with my opinion. I struggle with all of the conflicting information that is out there about masks. So, I look to our leaders to see what they do. Countless numbers of them continue to get caught disregarding the mask rules that they put in place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

always remember,...
    knowledge is power.
    hAPPY NEW year!

thanks ROB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lax1724 View Post
    I look to our leaders to see what they do. Countless numbers of them continue to get caught disregarding the mask rules that they put in place.
    Hah! Our "leaders" apparently learn early on to think that the rules they help make don't apply to them! Look how many of them get charged with DUI, with solicitation, with fraud and theft, with insider trading, etc., etc.