Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should We Go, or Should We Stay?

User Info Menu

Re: Should We Go, or Should We Stay?

Regarding post #18.

Rob, with ties to Ohio, I thought you'd mention the Norovirus, which had it's most recent outbreak in July, 2021. It was named after the town of Norwalk, Ohio back in 1929. I've never looked at those people the same since I learned that. (That's sarcasm people.) Useless information, I know.
    Johio

Administrator

User Info Menu

Norwalk is on the map for a flu! Woohoo!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

As we discussed, it should be apparent if Omicron is on the island. Today's numbers seem to confirm that it is.

Since Christmas Day, the daily case percentages have all been over the prior below 10% levels. The numbers for yesterday show a new increase to 32.5% testing positive with 365 new cases.

Interestingly, the hospitalizations are exactly where they were on Christmas Day at 97. With over 1100 new cases detected since Christmas, the number of hospitalizations have remained the same. This would follow the Omicron tendencies.

For those curious, out of the 365 cases reported yesterday only 2 came from Westmoreland, the parish where Negril is located. The Resilient Corridor seems to be doing its job as 293 cases came from the Kingston/St. Andrew area, not a part of the Corridor.

Those numbers make sense as virtually everywhere you visit
    in Negril is outdoors while most everything in Kingston is indoors and air conditioned.

As for a little observational on the ground reporting, around two weeks ago a "cold" swept through Negril causing Panadol Multi Symptom and vitamin C and zinc to fly out of the pharmacies. No one thought to be tested as the symptoms were cold like and passed quickly.

Being out yesterday no one is complaining of the "cold", which is a good sign.

With the timing, it could very well be that Omicron has come and gone through Negril, which along with our high vaccination rate because of the Resilient Corridor protocols could leave the community with the "super immunity" which is one of Omicron's silver linings.

With nearly everyone having the same symptoms at the same time may be more than a coincidence.

Vitamin D also plays an important part of our immune system especially against Covid and Omicron. And since the sun manufacturers vitamin D in our bodies, being in the Jamaican sun every time you go anywhere should be a positive in minimizing Omicron.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarieD View Post
    No words. Just facts
    Attachment 56452
    And here in the good old USA ... we are just 62% fully vaccinated. Why is that ?

And Rob, would you mind sharing your sources, where do you look for your data locally ?

Is it here? : https://www.moh.gov.jm/updates/coronavirus/

THANKS !
    Last edited by pberman123; 12-30-2021 at 01:49 PM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pberman123 View Post
    And here in the good old USA ... we are just 62% fully vaccinated. Why is that ?

And Rob, would you mind sharing your sources, where do you look for your data locally ?

Is it here? : https://www.moh.gov.jm/updates/coronavirus/

THANKS !
    For the Jamaica numbers, I simply go to https://www.moh.gov.jm/

Click on the today's link or search for any date you want. For a real shock, search August 26, 2021.

Makes this look like nothing, which it does seem to be turning out to be.

I use numerous other sites from South Africa, the UK and Australia to get a balanced perspective.

I pay no attention to celebrity doctors as with most "news media" sources, a house NOT burning down is not news worthy.

What is that old media line, "if it bleeds it leads"....

User Info Menu

"Since even Pfizer is now recommending 4 shots (money grab?)"

just a reminder that big mean greedy horrible evil pharma is the only reason we can travel AT ALL. last year at this time, we were desperate for a life-saving vaccine, and now that we have a few of them we can resume spending our time and energy bashing the drug companies, instead of worrying about being put on a ventilator or dying. Also, I see on social media that many are relying on the 'blood of Jesus' to protect them from the virus. I haven't seen the clinical trial data on that, but it doesn't appear to be any more effective than 'supplements' or ivermectin. However, if you're more concerned about pharma profits than you are about the pandemic and it's economic, and social costs, you do have other alternatives.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    For the Jamaica numbers, I simply go to https://www.moh.gov.jm/

Click on the today's link or search for any date you want. For a real shock, search August 26, 2021.

Makes this look like nothing, which it does seem to be turning out to be.

I use numerous other sites from South Africa, the UK and Australia to get a balanced perspective.

I pay no attention to celebrity doctors as with most "news media" sources, a house NOT burning down is not news worthy.

What is that old media line, "if it bleeds it leads"....
    Thanks for the info.

In case anyone is interested ,

We think this guy , Osterholm, is a good source.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/podcasts-webinars

Administrator

User Info Menu

ChipS,

I am fully vaccinated. I am 61 with underlying conditions. When the vaccines came out, everyone was told that things were going to go back to normal. No masks, restaurants and bars open and international travel resumed. That has not been the case. Travel to South Africa was recently banned.

A vaccine, by definition, is to provide immunity against one or several diseases. None of the vaccines did this, but acted as a therapeutic to alleviate the symptoms. The concept of a "vaccine" was oversold. They are therapeutics at best.

If Pfizer admits three jabs will not stop Omicron, logically, why would a fourth? Where is the scientific data?

The "vaccine" therapeutics are an amazing advancement for future treatments, but when was any long term, or even short term studies done on receiving a fourth jab? Point me to that research otherwise I will follow actual science and call Pfizer for doing nothing more than a money grab.

From very simple logic, if three jabs gives you zero prevention against Omicron according to Pfizer, then adding a fourth with no long or short term studies done would be a best guess, at best.

The original tests were done based on two jabs with no long term studies. They are now wanting to double the amount of therapeutics entering your body, with absolutely no studies possible at all since the scientific community didn't take the South African results as serious until very recently.

Thank Jah I never wasted my time on "social media" reading about the blood of anyone. Friggin FB....

Stay safe man! Everyone stay safe.

User Info Menu

Here's sumting I've been thinking about for a while.....while we are all in Negril during our times, why don't we all just Frolic more in the ocean? I looked up frolic in the dictionary. "To play merry pranks. Joyous merry-making! Frisky! ". First off, it would be a good social-distancing practice. BIG ocean! Great exercise {good for us...right?} FUN! Smiles! Happy! ....Just my 2 cents worth, 18 below zero. Staying home. Hope you all in Negril right now are having a great New Year's Eve! *Disclaimer...while frolicking in the ocean, don't step on a black sea urchin.

User Info Menu

I'm still happy to have this 'therapeutic' vs nothing that we had a couple of years ago. You can downplay the efficacy of the vaccine...uh, er... sorry - using WHO and CDC terminology here ... I mean 'therapeutic' since it doesn't prevent every single infection; however, if you look at graphs showing the numbers hospitalized in the ICU and dying, the numbers are CLEARLY in favor of the 'therapeutics'. At my local hospital (Duke), 100% of the patients hospitalized with COVID are unvaccinated.

I agree that we should follow the science and if the science doesn't point to the need for a 4th booster, then they shouldn't push it. I don't know where things stand with Pfizer, however, Moderna has shown that a 3rd shot provides additional protection against omicron compared to only 2 shots (again, not 100% so I guess that would be considered by some to be a failed 'vaccine'), so at least for Moderna, additional shots do seem to provide additional therapeutic benefit. Boosters are nothing new, and additional shots DO provide an additional immune response, which might be helpful in reducing severity. We'll see what the studies show.

Thanks to these 'therapeutics' we're in a better place than where we were this time last year, and for that, I remain grateful.