Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: safe Negril

User Info Menu

And I can almost guarantee where the results of this poll basically came from, at least as far as Sarasota is concerned

There was an incident in Sarasota not too long ago, all over the news (here in Tampa and surrounding areas) so I could only imagine how it was in the media over there.
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...r-side/1164757

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MissBlue View Post
    that's not the point. the point is that there are millions of OTHER people in the world who travel from many OTHER countries too - so this one statistical sample cannot be considered valid for the whole world of the traveling public; it's misleading/erroneous to put it forth as if it's 'universally true' -- because it's just a limited subjective sampling.
    Statistically it's a HUGE sampling...it would be called statistically significant!! Which means you CAN draw general conclusions because of the size of the sampling!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MissBlue View Post
    that's not the point.
    You could get a sample from Canada but that's only from a 30 million people country versus a 60 million people country like the UK. So I would stick with the 60 million country since there is a larger pool of people to get your statistics from.
    If you are implying more UK people are targeted in crimes versus any other nationality, I think you are mistaken MissBlue.

User Info Menu

no i'm not implying anything, and i have no idea how that could be extrapolated from what i said.

All i am doing is making one point -- which is:

the first post in this thread made a blanket-type statement, implying that this 'safety report' is true for all travelers - and it is not. the conclusion presented is true only for British travelers during the one-year time period of August 2010 - August 2011; so it doesn't have any real 'on the ground' value that's relevant to all travelers, under current conditions.
    Last edited by MissBlue; 12-01-2011 at 02:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Missblue you must be reading a different post then me, i've read and re read my post a number of times and i can't see anything other then a comment on how safe Negril is, i could have picked other places in USA which are higher on the unsafe list, but i didn't want to be accused of joining the growing anti american bandwagon, that is rolling over here

User Info Menu

Stop bickering I am getting ready to go down there I will report back how safe I think it is

User Info Menu

Hmmm... interesting-good news for Negril....One thing I do know is that Jamaica (and yes, icludes Negril) Is not the most "Transparent" country when it comes to reporting crime..Many crimes of all nature has gone on that no one never hears about....But then again, Jam. is like that....No chat too much.....
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by suzengrace View Post
    Hmmm... interesting-good news for Negril....One thing I do know is that Jamaica (and yes, icludes Negril) Is not the most "Transparent" country when it comes to reporting crime..Many crimes of all nature has gone on that no one never hears about....But then again, Jam. is like that....No chat too much.....
    I think you missed the point of the OP's topic. These reports are from people in the UK...it has nothing to do with Jamaica being "transparent".
    But, commenting on your separate topic...Jamaicans do have a tendency to 'handle' issues themselves...but may I also ask...do you really believe that all crimes are reported in all countries? I really don't think this is unique to Jamaica!

User Info Menu

Travel advisory UK from foreign and commonwealth home office website

Criminals have targeted visiting British nationals and those returning to resettle permanently in Jamaica. There have been some violent incidents, including cases of armed robbery, murder and rape. Before returning to resettle, seek advice from the Jamaican High Commission in London and/or the local Jamaican Information Service.You should still maintain vigilance even when staying with family or friends.

You should follow these guidelines:

Be particularly alert for thieves but do not offer resistance in the event of an attempted robbery.

Don’t walk or use buses at night. Only hire taxis authorised by the Jamaica Tourist Board usually operated by the Jamaica Union of Travellers Association (JUTA) or taxis ordered from hotels for your sole use (i.e. unshared).

Do not give lifts to strangers and keep car doors and windows locked.

Avoid large crowds and public demonstrations. Criminals use the confusion of such events to engage in acts such as robbery.

Do not carry large amounts of cash or wear eye-catching jewellery. Use hotel safety deposit boxes to store valuables, money and passports.

Try to vary which restaurants you use. Frequenting the same place too often might make you a target for thieves.

Unless you are fully acquainted with the route and are driving in daylight hours, you should not self-drive a car to or from Kingston International Airport. Instead, take an official 'JUTA' taxi, or taxi recommended by your hotel or airport’s official taxi dispatcher for your journey to or from the airport. There have been outbreaks of violence in the Mountain View area on one route from the airport to the city. You should therefore avoid this route and use the alternative Humming Bird route via South Camp Road.

For more general information see victims of crime abroad.

In the event of an emergency in Jamaica, call 119 for police and 110 for an ambulance.

User Info Menu

Tic that's general advice for all of JA and covers some of the areas that there have been problems with, same as there are areas of Uk and here in France that there are problems with, I still say that Negril is a safe place to visit and stay, but it would also be an unwise person not to lock his door at night