Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: safe Negril

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    I think you missed the point of the OP's topic. These reports are from people in the UK...it has nothing to do with Jamaica being "transparent".
    But, commenting on your separate topic...Jamaicans do have a tendency to 'handle' issues themselves...but may I also ask...do you really believe that all crimes are reported in all countries? I really don't think this is unique to Jamaica!
    No its not unique to Jam....But were not talking about other countries are we??? This is about Jam-specifically Negril...and you know as well I do that crime happens in Negril that is swept under the rug so to speak...But yes, I would consider Negril safer than many areas of the world right now-ie certain parts of Mexico where I've lived before..
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

TICTOC...you pulled out only a portion of the information...the article starts with...

This advice has been reviewed and reissued with amendments to the Entry Requirements - Passport Validity section (reworded). The overall level of the advice has not changed; there are no travel restrictions in place in Jamaica.

And...here is the link to the full article for anyone that may be interested...it's very similar to other countries that provide travel safety information...

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...merica/jamaica

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by suzengrace View Post
    ...and you know as well I do that crime happens in Negril that is swept under the rug so to speak....
    I guess I don't know as well as you do???!!!

I live here and I don't agree with that statement...this is a small town...everyone knows everyone...pretty difficult to sweep things under the rug!!!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

No its not unique to Jam....But were not talking about other countries are we??? This is about Jam-specifically Negril...and you know as well I do that crime happens in Negril that is swept under the rug so to speak...But yes, I would consider Negril safer than many areas of the world right now-ie certain parts of Mexico where I've lived before..
    Suzen,

Living here for nearly the last 2 decades now, I cannot agree. In this day and age, with nearly everyone having access to the internet, I cannot fathom how crime would be swept under any rug. There would be neighbors, witnesses and victims who would post their information on many different websites, as well as reporters who make a living writing stories that sell newspapers and tv and radio advertising. Any story of interest would be immediately reported. But as with anywhere - some things are just not deemed newsworthy or the victim simply doesnt want their name involved with the incident for any number of reasons.

I cannot think of any serious, real crime in Negril that has not been reported by the news services or on the internet in recent years. The fact of the matter is that crime is a rather rare occurrence in Negril, which I suppose could lead one to believe that things are being swept under the carpet. But the truth of the situation is that with the internet, there would have to be some kind of grand conspiracy to prevent events from coming to light. And which is more likely, that crime is rare in Negril, or that the various and opposing "powers that be" are somehow getting together and preventing everyone who knows of a crime from posting this information?
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    TICTOC...you pulled out only a portion of the information...the article starts with...

This advice has been reviewed and reissued with amendments to the Entry Requirements - Passport Validity section (reworded). The overall level of the advice has not changed; there are no travel restrictions in place in Jamaica.

And...here is the link to the full article for anyone that may be interested...it's very similar to other countries that provide travel safety information...

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...merica/jamaica
    Sorry I did not finish my post I posted that showing the travel advisory issued to us and I meant to ask if any other countries have that same advice or mainly Brits

User Info Menu

(and yes, icludes Negril) Is not the most "Transparent" country when it comes to reporting crime....
    the whole time I had the cottage on the Cliffs.....I don't ever remember one crime.......even petty stuff

and in the 30 years of going to Jamaica......I only know of one unfortunate death that hit home.......

the only problem I really had was with a sista or brother in law that thought I was an ATM........lol

and the other thing you have to look out for are people helping themselves to your stuff when you aren't around.....
    but if you have the doors locked and burglar bars on the windows..........it's not a problem

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

In a nutshell, violent crime in Miami is WAAAYYYY higher than in NYC. Missblue may "feel safer" in Miami than she does in NYC, but the facts suggest that she is in fact less safe there than in NYC.

Which is kind of like people feeling safe or unsafe in Negril. If you've had something happen to you or someone you know, you probably don't feel safe. If you haven't, you probably do feel safe. Likewise if a town is "your town" and you know people and know the area, you probably ARE safer, even if the crime rate is higher there than other places.

Facts/statistics have little to do with how safe we feel.
    Last edited by Ruby; 12-01-2011 at 11:31 PM.

User Info Menu

How many British tourists were murdered in Negril last year? None.

User Info Menu

We have been visiting Negril for more than 20 years and we have always felt safe there!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]