Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Accessing the Sea with a wheelchair

User Info Menu

Accessing the Sea with a wheelchair

Does anyone know if it is possible to rent or buy a portable mat thing to allow a wheel chair to get across the beach? Something like this:

Name:  installation.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  216.9 KB

Iv'e seen the mobi mat things on beaches in the states but never in Negril. Need to help a friend get across the sand and into the water.

User Info Menu

Re: Accessing the Sea with a wheelchair

Check with Dana at Blue Sky Beach Resort on Norman Manley boulevard in negril. I know she has built her place with all ADA compliance. Which I remember speaking to her a year ago about getting access to the sea.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kold Ass Mofo View Post
    Does anyone know if it is possible to rent or buy a portable mat thing to allow a wheel chair to get across the beach? Something like this:

Name:  installation.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  216.9 KB

Iv'e seen the mobi mat things on beaches in the states but never in Negril. Need to help a friend get across the sand and into the water.
    Living here for pretty much 30 years now, most if not all properties will work out something (may not be as high tech as your pic) but they will work with you to make sure things are as good as possible.

Many of the hospitality workers have family members in the same circumstance and will relate and help in any way possible.

Heck, I have seen ramps built overnight to accommodate unforeseen guest requirements.

Be sure to let the property know in advance, that will give them more than an overnight time to put the measures in place.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback. My friends and I are staying at Coco. No problems navigating the property in an electric chair in the past. Getting across the sand and into the water is the problem. Trying to find out the best person to contact at Coco for a heads-up on the situation. I did get in touch with Mr Gibson directly and he said "we will try something when you get here". Sounds like a great way to roll! Trying something, possibly a few things, sounds like more fun than a ready-made plan.

Appreciate the help. Stay safe and healthy everyone!

User Info Menu

I have no experience with this and don't know if this is possible, but I remember mention on this board of a "beach wheelchair" with enlarged wheels for the sand.
    I can see something like this going a lot further up the beach than just to the water.

User Info Menu

This place in MoBay might be able to help or direct you where to find ont
    https://www.independentlivingja.com/...e-care-jamaica
    https://www.tickerfactory.com]

User Info Menu

Gail Jackson at Negril Tree House is possibly someone in Negril who would know this
    https://www.tickerfactory.com]