Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive covid tests

User Info Menu

Positive covid tests

Does anyone know if the new case numbers being reported reflect tourists returning home or only Jamaican residents?

Does anyone have sense of how frequently tourists in Negril are testing positive..planning a trip in a few weeks to stay to Idle Awhile and getting very fearful of being forced to quarantine….
    Thank you so much for any helpful info..

User Info Menu

Re: Positive covid tests

Don't be fearful. Go and enjoy a wonderful time in Negril!! We enjoyed almost two weeks there in August and loved our time in paradise! We are planning to go back soon.

User Info Menu

Idle Awhile is a perfect place to stay. Not crowded .

User Info Menu

Will arrive IA next Saturday for 10 days. Turning 70 on the 22nd
    Just need negative test results on the 12th
    Soon Come
    https://www.tickerfactory.com]

User Info Menu

Not sure of the data or how frequent BUT in my case......I took an antigen (rapid) test on Sunday to return to the US on Monday. My test was positive so I immediately requested a PCR. I was then quarantined to my room where I was told I would be retested in 5 days and then every 2 days and then allowed to go home when I get a negative test. I received my PCR test results Monday morning and it was negative and too late to still catch my flight so I took another antigen (rapid) and that was also negative and flew home next day. The nurse and I have no idea why the Sunday test was positive.

I wasn't fearful of being quarantined but I was fearful that I might have infected others (I paid for the staff that I hang out with to be tested) and I was also fearful of what Covid could do to me even though I am vaccinated and boostered. Still go and enjoy and use the same common sense you already use when at home. I still feel safer in JA then I do in the US.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    Not sure of the data or how frequent BUT in my case......I took an antigen (rapid) test on Sunday to return to the US on Monday. My test was positive so I immediately requested a PCR. I was then quarantined to my room where I was told I would be retested in 5 days and then every 2 days and then allowed to go home when I get a negative test. I received my PCR test results Monday morning and it was negative and too late to still catch my flight so I took another antigen (rapid) and that was also negative and flew home next day. The nurse and I have no idea why the Sunday test was positive.

I wasn't fearful of being quarantined but I was fearful that I might have infected others (I paid for the staff that I hang out with to be tested) and I was also fearful of what Covid could do to me even though I am vaccinated and boostered. Still go and enjoy and use the same common sense you already use when at home. I still feel safer in JA then I do in the US.
    Thank you

That is a very interesting ( and encouraging ) story…
    Very helpful…
    Still nervously making our decision

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina55 View Post
    Does anyone know if the new case numbers being reported reflect tourists returning home or only Jamaican residents?

Does anyone have sense of how frequently tourists in Negril are testing positive..planning a trip in a few weeks to stay to Idle Awhile and getting very fearful of being forced to quarantine….
    Thank you so much for any helpful info..
    When I got tested on Saturday, the nurse told me that she has tested hundreds of tourists and only 3 tested positive and they were all staying in one room.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Where were you quarantined? Was this at a hotel/resort? Glad it worked out well! Thanks!

User Info Menu

That's the problem with the rapid tests. Too many false positive results. Some rapid test have even been recalled
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Actually a false negative is many times more likely than a false positive, do your research.