Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US$ vs. JA$ during upcoming trip

User Info Menu

US$ vs. JA$ during upcoming trip

Hi everyone.

It's great to be posting again because A) I've always loved the conversations and insights on this board, and B) because after a few years we are finally making it back to Negril!

We are staying on the cliffs (non-resort), and typically we pay in JA$ to avoid having to figure out US$ equivalents. However, our friend is married to a guy from Negril, and mentioned that due to how much in favor the exchange rate is to the US dollar, nobody wants to be paid in JA$.

I wanted to check those who have visited recently or live in Negril, and find out if this is indeed true, or if we should continue to pay in JA$. We'd prefer it that way if possible, but want to go with what will be the easiest.

Thanks! -- ChrisR

User Info Menu

Re: US$ vs. JA$ during upcoming trip

My simple rule. If the prices are listed in $J pay with $J. If listed in $US pay $US.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Thanks for the respond! Yes, that's our typical strategy as well (we pretty much pay for everything in JA$ except for things like excursions, boat rides, etc). Our big thing is just making sure that this is the way to go with what we had heard from some friends based on the current exchange rate.

User Info Menu

I was there last month and used primarily J$ and no one said anything to me negative about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    I was there last month and used primarily J$ and no one said anything to me negative about it.
    Perfect! Thanks so much for the feedback -- this is really helpful!

User Info Menu

Convert your money to Ja$ and use that. You're in Jamaica not the USA so why use USD. If you have USD and go to the HiLo for a crate of Red Stripe for example, that cost is around $4000J now, now how much is that in USD, what's the exchange rate, get your change back in J$, so how much did I really pay.... or you can just give them $4000J. The rate has been hovering around the 1USD to 145 or 150J. Ball park 1000J = 7USD. So base all your expenses on a factor of 7. $4000J crate of Red Stripe is 4 X 7= $28USD +/-

Some places it's better to pay in J$. Sun Beach for example, beers are $3USD ($435J) or you pay $350J so it's way better to use J$

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    Convert your money to Ja$ and use that. You're in Jamaica not the USA so why use USD. If you have USD and go to the HiLo for a crate of Red Stripe for example, that cost is around $4000J now, now how much is that in USD, what's the exchange rate, get your change back in J$, so how much did I really pay.... or you can just give them $4000J. The rate has been hovering around the 1USD to 145 or 150J. Ball park 1000J = 7USD. So base all your expenses on a factor of 7. $4000J crate of Red Stripe is 4 X 7= $28USD +/-

Some places it's better to pay in J$. Sun Beach for example, beers are $3USD ($435J) or you pay $350J so it's way better to use J$
    Thanks for the reaponse. Yes, we typically pay with JA$ for the reasons you mentioned, but based on what my friend had passed along based on the current exchange rate (her husband us feom Westmoreland) just wanted to see if anything had changes, and if locals were more interested in US$.

User Info Menu

I've been primarily using Ja for the past 4 weeks everywhere we go. But, I do ask what the exchange rate is that the establishment is using to convert from US dollars to Ja and pay in the more favorable currency compared to what exchange rate at which I bought the Ja dollars. So, anyway, paying in Jamaican dollars is OK.

Administrator

User Info Menu

This past summer the J$ was going through major fluctuations, getting as high j$150 to us$1. But that is not case now.

It has been holding between $144 to $146 for a couple months now.

When we were distributing your incredibly generous contributions this past summer, no business wanted it in US$. After all, everything they buy is in J$.

This adds an extra visit to the bank or cambio to exchange the US$. That is extra work for nothing.

Unless a business is huge and must buy some inventory from overseas, or someone in the near family is heading to the States soon (unlikely), there is virtually no reason to pay in US$.

Jamaican dollars are perfectly fine and acceptable everywhere! This is Jamaica after all!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I live in Canada and use Jamaican dollars. Why convert to US and then J? I do use US for my ride to and from Negril and for coffee I bring home but that is all.
    Irie Sue