Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 Negril photos 1972

User Info Menu

Re: 2 Negril photos 1972

Hi just wondering if you know who those 2 guys r that r in picture of round about ?

User Info Menu

The fellow sitting down was Douglas from Dayton, Ohio. He was traveling with another fellow, Robert Weis. I am standing in the photo.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rjonsun View Post
    The fellow sitting down was Douglas from Dayton, Ohio. He was traveling with another fellow, Robert Weis. I am standing in the photo.
    Regards,
    Bob
    Remarkable memory dude. What's your secret? I hope it's not 'clean living'.

User Info Menu

I was told that the "discipline" had to do with allowing no political talk.

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

The reason I remember Douglas and Robert so well is that we spent about 2 weeks with them at Porters Cottage in Red Ground. Shortly after our Negril trip Jim and I hitch hiked from the Philly area to Dayton and spent another 10 days or so at their house. We then hitched to West Virginia and spent another week with a friend.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

rjonsun,
    Thinking back to 72 although I didn't check Jamaica until March 75 I was like you hitchhiking around America. In 1973 I hitched with my buddy Pete from CT to California though the heartland on Route 80 down to Denver and then through the southwest to The Grand Canyon, RT 40 through the Mojave Desert and on to the Pacific Ocean at Long Beach. What an awesome trip it was. After finding JA in 75 in subsequent trips I hitched around the island from Mobay eastward to Portland, over the Blue Mountains to Kingston and the back to the west end in Negril. What a wonderful way to travel!!

User Info Menu

I remember the jukebox in 1980 would stop on way to beach after long walk down the hill from 2 Diamonds across from Ten Sing Pen, and have a coffee w/ Tia Maira Al Green would be playing.
    After coffee would get a couple of cool Drangon Stout for the beach, cool was what they called cold, back in the day.
    Any remember the lady that cooked fish samwichs in little hut by roundabout or the lady under the below the construction and made Banna Friters fo a $1.00.

User Info Menu

I made a post on the old board “Back To Memory Lane” with a lot of photo from the 1980 trip, lost the ones from 1974.
    Stayed both times at Franklin and Daisy,s across from Tensing Pen.
    I wish someone could tell me how to get that post back. I use to find it with google search Tony and May.
    Anyone one from back then would know May, she was the on-site pharmacy around Rick’s after dark.
    Went back in 2010 stayed a Tensing Pen that was as much of a culture stock and was the first trip in 74.

User Info Menu

lane,
    So glad that you remember the jukebox in the Wharf Club Bar and restaurant!! My first visit was in 1975 but returned yearly and often numerous times per year until 1983. After a few years off I went back in 87 and on and off in the 90's.

The Wharf Club was a great place to hang out. Yes I imagine when you returned to Negril in 2010 much had changed!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lane View Post
    I made a post on the old board “Back To Memory Lane” with a lot of photo from the 1980 trip, lost the ones from 1974.
    Stayed both times at Franklin and Daisy,s across from Tensing Pen.
    I wish someone could tell me how to get that post back. I use to find it with google search Tony and May.
    Anyone one from back then would know May, she was the on-site pharmacy around Rick’s after dark.
    Went back in 2010 stayed a Tensing Pen that was as much of a culture stock and was the first trip in 74.
    Lane,

The previous board was discontinued in April 2011. It was being run on software that was designed by a company that was no longer in business. We were upgrading the server at the same time and the existing software would not work on the new hosting software/hardware server combination.

There were also unresolvable security issues because of no longer being in business which added unacceptable vulnerabilities that would eventually comprise user data. In addition, there were custom coding added to the board software using non-standard formats, all which made transferring the old board software or just the data impossible.

In simple terms, the old board software and data were just too old to be of any use.

I was not involved in the old board software choice, implementation or non-standard modifications. Being intimately involved in the current board software, seamless upgrades has always been part of the decisions. There have been 4 major upgrades in the past decade with no data loss. Future upgrades will not have any data loss issues either.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!