Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Jamaica added to CDC list of highest level of travel risk

User Info Menu

Jamaica added to CDC list of highest level of travel risk

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaica added to CDC list of highest level of travel risk

Also from the CNN article:

"The Level 4 list now contains almost 120 places. In early January, there were around 80 destinations, further demonstrating the reach of the Omicron variant."
    --------------

From an on the ground perspective, Omicron seems to be peaking, hospitalizations have been hovering around the mid 500's for the last week, with 575 on the high end and 480 on the lower end. This compares to late August 2021 with hospitalizations at nearly 800.

Look for the CDC to be lowering most of those 120 countries in the next few weeks as the peaks begin to drop off...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob. That is hopeful news! I won't be returning for awhile.

User Info Menu

i read that cdc goes to level 4 if over 500 cases per 100 thousand people. if that is the case and my math is correct then the U.S.would be at least a level 4 .

Administrator

User Info Menu

The US is in the same highest category 4. But if you are already in the US, and the US CDC is advising its citizens on where to travel internationally, there is no need to tell citizens in the US not to travel to the US because they are already there!

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob. Yes the point I was making is I think the chance of me getting COVID (again) is less in Negril than in the US

Administrator

User Info Menu

Yes, the number of islandwide hospitalizations have been decreasing every day now, and the percentage of the number of cases in Westmoreland have been decreasing as well.

We are all pretty sure Omicron ripped through Negril last month, leaving immunity in its wake.

There are no stats for that as the symptoms were so minimal that almost no one got tested.