Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old road from mbj / negril

User Info Menu

Old road from mbj / negril

Since the highway was built. Transfer from MBJ to Negril is nice and quick
    I am looking to take the Old Road , before new highway , from MBJ to Negril
    Can someone tell me the route that used to be taken from MBJ to Negril ?
    I would like to travel that original route , pre highway , that , to me, would be a great experience
    Who do you recommend for that ride?

Negrilbound
    I

User Info Menu

Re: Old road from mbj / negril

Sorry but it no longer exists. Probably a third or more was converted to the new road. Bits and pieces still exist and can be explored. Younger drivers have heard about it but never drove it.

User Info Menu

We traveled the Old Road back in the day. A few years ago our driver with Luxurious Carib Tours took us on a section of the original Old Road. I don't remember exactly but I think it was some where around Cousins Cove.
    Peace, Todd & Cher

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    We traveled the Old Road back in the day. A few years ago our driver with Luxurious Carib Tours took us on a section of the original Old Road. I don't remember exactly but I think it was some where around Cousins Cove.
    Yes, Cousins Cove Backroad is about the only remaining stretch of the old road. We featured it on Negril Today back in 2017.

https://negril.com/nt/nt052017.htm
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Oh those were the days...
    A few years ago a boardie had the Old Road to Negril t-shirts for sale.
    Name:  I Survived the Road To Negril   FIRST PROOFl (Medium) (Custom).jpg
Views: 711
Size:  88.3 KB

I'll never forget the first time crossing the ganga bridge!!!

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

I'll never forget the big looping turn at Mosquito Cove where the bus had to slow right down to make the turn. Of course that was the best place to sell ganja between MBJ and Negril. I remember the bus driver just driving by and the ganja guy running beside the bus. Man that guy to go 30km/h for some time.

negrilbound If you want the old road experience try the cross island road between MoBay and Sav. Have your driver make the turn at the Reading traffic light and take the B-8 road to Border Jerk for lunch. After lunch take the Petersfield turn into Sav. That route is old school with the exception of Border Jerk to the Petersfield turn, that part is brand new highway and quiet the sight for west side Jamaica.

User Info Menu

Ah ... the infamous ganja bridge
    Would see groups of kids holding glistening bud stalks and running along with the bus, etc.
    https://www.tickerfactory.com]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    Oh those were the days...
    A few years ago a boardie had the Old Road to Negril t-shirts for sale.
    Name:  I Survived the Road To Negril   FIRST PROOFl (Medium) (Custom).jpg
Views: 711
Size:  88.3 KB

I'll never forget the first time crossing the ganga bridge!!!

Enjoy,

VVHT
    IslandJay.com was selling these T's a couple years ago, the wife picked up a few. I just checked with them, they are no longer available.
    Peace, Todd & Cher

User Info Menu

I had an automatic reflex on the old road. I would either close my eyes or look away when a vehicle was coming from the other direction. That road was so incredibly narrow I don’t know how it handled traffic from both directions. And there was also the dogs, goats, cows and walking Jamaicans to avoid! Those were the days!!

User Info Menu

Don't forget the donkeys and occasional push cart