Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: How to check taxi

User Info Menu

How to check taxi

I know that with the existing rules for taxi drivers we are supposed to use covid certified taxis. I also know there is a list on the internet of them. But when leaving Hi-lo or anywhere else how do I tell if a driver is covid certified? Do they have a card? A sticker on the vehicle? I'm guessing if I ask them the answer will most likely be yes.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: How to check taxi

All JUTA, JCal and Maxi drivers are certified. The respective logos would be displayed on the vehicle.

Best way would be to charter a certified taxi from your hotel and have them wait or get their number while you shop.

Unless you are planning on playing Russian Roulette with about 5 full chambers regarding testing positive for your return flight, do not use the locals route taxi system.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

So what is a reasonable price to pay a red plAte taxi if you are going from Treehouse to HiLo? We got quoted a price today that seemed quite high. But we haven't been here for 4 years.
    Hedo Negril '07 Hedo Ochi '08 Couples Negril & Riu Ochi '10 Firefly & iberostar Rose Hall Beach '12 Firefly & Samsara '14 Samsara & CocolaPalm '16 CocolaPalm & Couples Negril '17 Treehouse & Catcha & Couples Negril '22

Coming in from the cold...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
    So what is a reasonable price to pay a red plAte taxi if you are going from Treehouse to HiLo? We got quoted a price today that seemed quite high. But we haven't been here for 4 years.
    The locals route taxi, which as a visitor you are not presently allowed to take would be between j$600 to $800 roundtrip per person. And that would not include the driver waiting and having to change taxis downtown (both ways).

So for a local party of two the cost would be $1200 to $1600. Add the convenience of not having to change taxis and having the same driver wait for you and a reasonable cost would be anywhere from j$2000 to $3000 depending on if an ATM stop is required or you are spending extra time shopping.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob. Today we decided to walk from Treehouse to HiLo and got a cab back... 2250 Ja for 4 people which included tip.
    Hedo Negril '07 Hedo Ochi '08 Couples Negril & Riu Ochi '10 Firefly & iberostar Rose Hall Beach '12 Firefly & Samsara '14 Samsara & CocolaPalm '16 CocolaPalm & Couples Negril '17 Treehouse & Catcha & Couples Negril '22

Coming in from the cold...