Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Slow Season/Busy Season Questions

User Info Menu

Slow Season/Busy Season Questions

I've heard that some of the restaurants in Negril close down for the slow season. We typically go in April, and have never really noticed any restaurants closed. We are anticipating a return to mostly unrestricted travel (i.e. not testing requirements) in the near future and are thinking of visiting Negril the week before Thanksgiving. Is this considered to be in the busy season or slow season or is it kind of in between (kind of like April). Could we expect most restaurants to be open during this week?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Slow Season/Busy Season Questions

I am assuming you mean US Thanksgiving. That is a busy time normally in Negril. It will be the same this year.

But this year has already shown itself to be an unordinary year.

Barring anything weird happening, the whole year looks to be more busy than usual due to the pent up demand for travel from people slowly losing their minds during this seemingly endless pandemic.

In the past, restaurants would close during slow season and live off the savings from busy seasons.

That has not occurred this year so look for businesses to remain open for the normally slow season to make up for the income not saved during the normally busy season.

We have been running about 40% to 50% of normal occupancy, businesses are paying their bills but not saving money.

This is going to be an interesting year....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Rob! I do mean US Thanksgiving, so latter half of November. Sounds like things will be in full swing if we decide to come. Can't wait to get back to Negril. It has been a few years. I'm ready for an uninteresting/normal year...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanP View Post
    Thanks, Rob! I do mean US Thanksgiving, so latter half of November. Sounds like things will be in full swing if we decide to come. Can't wait to get back to Negril. It has been a few years. I'm ready for an uninteresting/normal year...
    Well considering that I've gone down to Negril the friday after thanksgiving the last 9 years (including the last 2 years during covid), I can report that it always seemed to be the time when Negril picks up from the slow season. Even this last Thanksgiving we went to restaurants and saw some afternoon bands. I believe that only the curfew at the time of our trip stopped places from playing evening bands. It's always been my favorite time of year to go because most places are open with decent crowds, yet not too busy or packed like some months in the busy season.
    Last edited by ukran1ans; 02-16-2022 at 09:33 AM.

User Info Menu

November is allways our time, it’s a bit slower in the the beginning and busier after Thanksgiving.

We will be there this year a bit longer & over the holiday.

Ukran1ans we’ll need some advice on Tday plans, never been there on the holiday.
    ( and a new countdown here)

So Ryan
    We really like November, our anniversary is the 3rd but we have slowly migrated to later & longer in the month of November.

Peace

User Info Menu

We love late November. Businesses are open, weather is usually great, water is still very warm and there are many places that still have low season rates in place. It’s also fun having thanksgiving dinner on the beach or cliffs!!