Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Produce Expert / Westmoreland & Hanover

User Info Menu

Produce Expert / Westmoreland & Hanover

I love Jamaican fruits and veggies. My last visit was mid-November and was hit or miss on ripe produce. Mainly Papaya and oranges. I couldn't even find ripe ackee and it was too early for limes. It seems like I had better luck in February? It has been a long time since I found ripe StarApple or Naseberry etc. Does anyone have a month to month summary of ripe produce to be found in Westmoreland & Hanover?

User Info Menu

Re: Produce Expert / Westmoreland & Hanover

bump

User Info Menu

We were there a couple weeks ago…visited with Cortis, but the fruit we purchased was below par

User Info Menu

This could be a very interesting thread! I really would like this info too. Maybe reach out to the U of West Indies? I bet there is a prof there that would have this info. There are so many different biomes in JA, the answer may vary from parish to parish. Nice post doc project!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
    This could be a very interesting thread! I really would like this info too. Maybe reach out to the U of West Indies? I bet there is a prof there that would have this info. There are so many different biomes in JA, the answer may vary from parish to parish. Nice post doc project!
    Exactly Odinson...parish to parish...even yard to yard.
    If you Google the seasons for fruit & veg in Jamaica, you can get a decent idea of what you'll be able to purchase when visiting.
    In our yard, we have a famous June Plum tree that blooms the " wrong" time of the year...making it popular.
    A Star Fruit tree that blooms (thankfully) too often!
    Five different types of mango trees...that keep us supplied almost the whole year. A Nasberry tree & Sweetsop that blooms late spring....breadfruit & ackee over the summer months. Generally, you can find breadfruit & ackee all year long.
    My fav fruit to get from the beach vendors is guinep. You can find this small fruit over the summer months & sometimes lasting until late November. If you've never had a guinep...don't be shy to ask the vendor to explain to you how to eat it.

There's so many more wonderful fruit & veg choices...though they may have been harder to find on the beach for purchase lately, as it hasn't been viable for vendors/farmers to bring them into town the last couple of years.

User Info Menu

Seems like ripe watermelon is ready now in Mid-March.

User Info Menu

Great idea for a thread ! We were in oracabessa in December 2016 , and our driver stopped for these small yellow mangos that were amazing. I had always thought mangos were summer time fruit. Our driver said there are many varieties of Mangos you can find on the island.