Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car rental tips

User Info Menu

Re: Car rental tips

I will never live down that crab drive, still have a bit of PTSD from it and it was over 20 years ago. About 10 years ago we were driving in CO after some mountaineering and I was dozing off in the passenger seat - woke up suddenly and saw a crab in the road - my friends still make fun of me for that hallucination.

That rainy drive was further complicated by the Jamaicans filling up baskets with the crabs along the road and in the road - I was way more afraid of clipping one of them. It was also pretty late - our AirJA flight out of Chicago was delayed (somebody on the incoming flight had jammed up the lavatory) and our friends that we were meeting in MoBay for the ride to Negril had been hanging out and were fairly lit by the time we got there. I remember their hysterical reactions to each near miss and squished crab like it was yesterday.

One piece of driving advice - at least for me - the first day driving on the 'right' side of the road took a bit of concentration. The second day, I would wake up and drove like I lived there my whole life. I'd like to think my brain is still as plastic as it once was...

User Info Menu

Re: Car rental tips

Agreed. It's amazing how quickly you get comfortable driving on the "correct" side of the road when the steering wheel is on the "correct" side of the car. Now I only get nervous on blind curves in the hills. I worry that an unseen oncoming car, driven by an American, "forgets" to remain on the correct side.