Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was there a shooting last night?

User Info Menu

Was there a shooting last night?

Norman Manley was backed right up with traffic last night .. was it a crime scene, does anyone know?
    Rumor from my resort was there was a shooting near Kuyaba?
    My buddy SpongeBob figured it was a car accident .. but the ppl at my resort assume otherwise..
    I hope it wasn't a shooting.
    Last edited by roxxyroller; 03-13-2022 at 07:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Re: Was there a shooting last night?

We were stuck in traffic coming back from 3 dives… sound like a shooting between a tourist and a Jamaican.
    If I had to guess, it was a drug deal gone bad…

User Info Menu

So flipping sad!

Administrator

User Info Menu

The most accurate information I have been able to determine is that a driver was the person who was shot.

No tourists were involved, no drug deal gone bad, but it does seem to be another incident involving retribution for the lottery scamming.

It doesn't seem that the unlicensed taxi driver from Green Island in Hanover was involved in scamming but a family member was and he paid the price.

Please educate your elderly family and friends that no prizes require you to pay anything in advance
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfun View Post
    We were stuck… sound like a shooting between a tourist and a Jamaican.
    If I had to guess, it was a drug deal gone bad…

I’m going to not even try express how bad that uniformed post is for Negril.

User Info Menu

Sorry you feel that way about my post. But there has not been any shootings in Negril until just the past few years. Little Negril is not the same Negril I started to come to 40 years ago. Just like any shootings in Chicago or Miami, they are drug related. Does it bother me… no… I still come back and will continue to come back. Just like any large City, be careful……

User Info Menu

I think McBriGuy meant by erroneously saying a tourist was involved, you may scare off a few (or many) desperately needed travelers.
    I agree that it's very sad this is happening in Negril, and I also agree it will not stop me from returning. NYC is like the wild west lately. If I feel safe here, I'll feel safe in Negril. These shootings are not random muggings, they are targeted attacks. Like the one I'd like to see in Moscow about now.

User Info Menu

ill second that John !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNYC View Post
    I think McBriGuy meant by erroneously saying a tourist was involved, you may scare off a few (or many) desperately needed travelers.
    I agree that it's very sad this is happening in Negril.
    Yes of course / that’s all.
    Thank you

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfun View Post
    Sorry you feel that way about my post. But there has not been any shootings in Negril until just the past few years. Little Negril is not the same Negril I started to come to 40 years ago. Just like any shootings in Chicago or Miami, they are drug related. Does it bother me… no… I still come back and will continue to come back. Just like any large City, be careful……
    To all,

Maybe what I am writing is more detailed than our current visitors need to know, but I thought I would bring in some historical background to what has been posted.

Over the past 40 years, there has been gun violence all across Jamaica. The 1980 election was probably the worst time on the island with both the Soviet Union and United States using Jamaica as a pawn, flooding the island with guns from both sides. To this day some of the 1980 guns are still in use and news reports of caches of these old guns still being uncovered during new construction projects.

In 1988, during the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Gilbert looters were being shot here in Negril. That was my first direct encounter.

In the mid 90's when crack cocaine was dominating Negril, there were homicides in which drug deals gone bad did indeed occur.

But in the last decade or so, with the lottery scamming becoming so lucrative, you would be hard pressed to hear of any drug deals going bad, it is virtually all scamming related now.

Which is rather sad and let's help end this scourge by educating the vulnerable scamming targets to simply hang up the phone. With the lure of millions of dollars without having to smuggle, store, protect and sell illegal drugs, phone scamming is quite a draw...

And Negril, not being a big city, there is little need to worry about big city problems. The gun violence in Jamaica is dominated by lottery scamming. So if you and your family members are not involved, neither will you.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!