Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was there a shooting last night?

User Info Menu

Re: Was there a shooting last night?

Rob...your post brings me flashbacks. Our first trip in 1983 wasn't that long after the troubles of the 1980 election. I remember the newspaper photos of Manley in his Che Guevera outfit and Seaga in his Ronald Reagan wannabe suits. Most people were talking through their differences by then. The crack onslaught was the worst thing I have ever seen there over all the years and countless trips to Negril. So many glassy-eyed zombie figures shuffling around in the shadows, it was a little spooky. Then on subsequent trips that seemed to fade away with the realization crack was a death wish. Jamaica always seems to follow a self-correcting course and none of that stuff ever stopped us from going back again and again. We were, however, about to book when Gilbert developed and our trip was delayed for nearly a year.

User Info Menu

ROB, But why are there shootings?. unfortunately there seems to be plenty of business . what are the arguments over?
    one of the boys from my red ground days whom i had known since birth was shot and killed last year and i assume it was lottery related. very sad time for me.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by original spanky View Post
    ROB, But why are there shootings?. unfortunately there seems to be plenty of business . what are the arguments over?
    one of the boys from my red ground days whom i had known since birth was shot and killed last year and i assume it was lottery related. very sad time for me.
    About 80% of all gun violence on the island is lottery scamming related. The money amounts are huge, far larger than other forms of crime.

All you need is a phone and call sheets which are provided to "legal businesses" so graciously by North American credit card companies and social media outlets.

A legal business places an order from a CC or social media company requesting everyone in their huge data mined database who is over 65, widowed, likes to travel, has been to Jamaica, has a pet with a bank account of over $1,000,000. And in a few days the list with 10,000 names and phone numbers arrives by email.

Since a business needs to order the listings, someone is now in charge of the scamming. They enlist others, give them some basic scamming instructions along with where the money is to be sent in exchange for making the calls and receiving a small percentage of the money. Everything works like clockwork until it doesn't.

When those making the calls start to feel slighted, getting hundreds of dollars as they bring in 10s of thousands of dollars, they try to scam the scammer. This never ends well.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    ...Everything works like clockwork until it doesn't....
    Very True statement!

I was in Negril during this shooting. Very sad for the driver and all that knew him. He had just dropped tourists off at their resort and drove across beach road to park. It is at that point he was shot 7 times. While tourists are not being shot (like Cancun), these crimes will can definitely affect tourism. 2 days later, police were on beach road early in the morning stopping cars checking for weapons. They will probably need to do this on a regular basis.