Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: More rain than usual?

User Info Menu

More rain than usual?

The forecast I've noticed has been looking more like May than March lately with the usual early summer afternoon rain clouds passing through every day. Have these forecasts been accurate the past couple of weeks?

User Info Menu

Re: More rain than usual?

The rain has brought out the mosquitoes, at least for me. Bring your repellent!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Rain in March is not that unusual. During the late 90's and early 00's, it rained many a March afternoon.

And since we are in a current drought situation, the rain is welcome! Just wish it would rain on the West End a little more...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Good call! Thank you!

User Info Menu

Looks like we may be trending back to those late '90's days then. The historical average rainfall for Negril in March is 20.9mm. For May it is 96.2mm. I guess if you like to stay mostly dry, either is better than the 140mm average for October! Thanks much for the reply!

User Info Menu

Just got back from our stay at Coco 3/2-310, and I too thought there was more rain than we had experienced on several prior trips. But it wasn't all that bad really, because the clouds and rain came in after 2:30-3PM follow near perfect sunny, hot morning to early afternoon. Worked out perfect to walk down to the Boat Bar for live music, to Woodstock, or just hang at the Beach bar at Coco while it rained. Seemed like most night the clouds lifted enough to give us a decent sunset as well.

As far as bugs go, I came back pretty chewed up on my lower legs/ankles, etc. ...never experienced it that bad before in Negril. I don't know what bugs these are or what to use to keep them away but I'll work on figuring that out for next time. We have HEAVY skeeters here in northern Michigan during summer so I'm used it but those little JA bugs are invisible and leave an bite that itches like crazy.

Early planning underway for a return trip in 2023!

S

User Info Menu

Beautiful! Just the info I was wondering about. Thank you! Been there in May before and had just about every afternoon washed out and hoping to avoid in the future.

User Info Menu

Many years ago i experienced the same problem with ankle biters. I was told it was sand fleas and they bite you as you walk in the loose beach sand at night. The worst episode was after a leisurely dinner seated at an outdoor table with feet ankle deep in sand the whole time. No-seeums of the sand.