Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: West End Water Situation

User Info Menu

West End Water Situation

I wasn't aware until I started reading some last night, but I guess there is a lack of water situation on the West End. We are travelling down in a couple of weeks and just wanting to know more about the situation. Can anyone provide a summary or links to some reading that can help me understand what is going on? Are the restaurants on the West End affected by this? (I assume they are.) Are the hotels affected? Are there water issues down on the beach?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: West End Water Situation

Quote Originally Posted by RyanP View Post
    I wasn't aware until I started reading some last night, but I guess there is a lack of water situation on the West End. We are travelling down in a couple of weeks and just wanting to know more about the situation. Can anyone provide a summary or links to some reading that can help me understand what is going on? Are the restaurants on the West End affected by this? (I assume they are.) Are the hotels affected? Are there water issues down on the beach?
    Yes, you will have water.

A very quick summary comes from one of my best friends from here in Negril. Born and raised here she and her husband booked a room on the cliffs - I will let her explain it from there.

"Speaking from experience the hotels on the west end have water secured for guests. I booked in for 2 nights and there was water. Despite the water issue it does not affect the tourists as each hotel enterprise make sure the guests have water at all times and it's not evident to guests that there is a water issue."

The West End water issue effects mainly the residents and not the hotels or restaurants. The NWC (National Water Commission) says the problem is caused by a decrease in water supply. This is not a new problem and has been getting worse each year.

Six years ago the government stated that an increased water supply would be secured from Roaring River. Five and four years ago the Prime Minister stated the 33km of pipe was purchased and ready to be installed. This would greatly increase the supply, and had it been installed we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Just recently the PM has once again said that the issue would be addressed this fiscal year. Quoting the President of the Chamber of Commerce regarding future fixing of the West End Road from the Observer, "The infrastructure of everything in Negril, especially the West End, has been so very badly neglected over the years it makes you wonder if the people who govern ever really thought that the humans who lived there and paid taxes are deserving. I am so glad that now we are really being treated as human beings," the chamber president said.

Negril provided about US$1.3 Billion to the government coffers last year and many Negril citizens have no water. There have been a couple protests already, peaceful in nature and even having tourists join in. If you happen to hear about any protests in the future, you now know why they are happening.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

For a little research background on the issue, this is from 2018:

https://jamaica.loopnews.com/content...supply-problem

From 2019

And for a little comic relief from last year:

https://nationwideradiojm.com/ic-rep...d-water-bills/

User Info Menu

Thanks, Rob! I had no idea.

User Info Menu

This might be a stupid question Rob, but if you don't know the answer, there is no such thing a stupid questions, right.

100's of water trucks in Negril right now. Some nicer looking trucks, some look like they may have served in WWII. These trucks racing back a fourth because the more deliveries the more the money. It's just a matter of time before a tourist or visitor gets hit and killed by one racing down the road. Right now the trucks are lined up at Hedo where they must be getting a hundred deliveries a day. So here is my question. The drivers are getting the water from a source that I think is in the Morass. This isn't swamp water but water bubbling up through the limestone and rain runoff from the hills. Why can't NWC tap into that source, send it to Logwood where it would be treated and then piped to Negril?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    This might be a stupid question Rob, but if you don't know the answer, there is no such thing a stupid questions, right.

100's of water trucks in Negril right now. Some nicer looking trucks, some look like they may have served in WWII. These trucks racing back a fourth because the more deliveries the more the money. It's just a matter of time before a tourist or visitor gets hit and killed by one racing down the road. Right now the trucks are lined up at Hedo where they must be getting a hundred deliveries a day. So here is my question. The drivers are getting the water from a source that I think is in the Morass. This isn't swamp water but water bubbling up through the limestone and rain runoff from the hills. Why can't NWC tap into that source, send it to Logwood where it would be treated and then piped to Negril?
    The NWC could do that but the government is preventing it. There would have to be years of studies, reports, meetings, more studies, reports and meetings before money would be allocated. Then what they call the "Procurement Procedure" to take place, which essentially prevents the Ministries from allocating contracts to family and friends. This is why we are asking everyone to write to Minister Bartlett to get the already studied, planned and approved Roaring River 33km of pipe sitting in Little London installed now.

And chances are the source in question is a NWC pipe. There are valves, spigots and supply sources all over Negril. The trucks find the most convenient one and fill'er up! Hydrants are used as well. Even the tanks on Tank Hill and Westland Mountain are being tapped.

And no government agency is doing anything about it. Meanwhile, the residents have no water in their pipes.

User Info Menu

I wish TVJ would do some serious reporting on this. A few weeks ago I saw a video of water gushing from a hydrant on the beach road. After your statement, Rob, that trucks fill up from hydrants, it begs the question “was it the fault of the truck not closing it properly?”

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Marcia View Post
    I wish TVJ would do some serious reporting on this. A few weeks ago I saw a video of water gushing from a hydrant on the beach road. After your statement, Rob, that trucks fill up from hydrants, it begs the question ?was it the fault of the truck not closing it properly??
    NM,

Why close it at all? It's the Fire department's responsibility. If you are robbing a home, do you make sure all the locks are locked and windows closed after the robbery?

User Info Menu

For sure, Rob!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The NWC could do that but the government is preventing it. There would have to be years of studies, reports, meetings, more studies, reports and meetings before money would be allocated. Then what they call the "Procurement Procedure" to take place, which essentially prevents the Ministries from allocating contracts to family and friends. This is why we are asking everyone to write to Minister Bartlett to get the already studied, planned and approved Roaring River 33km of pipe sitting in Little London installed now.

And chances are the source in question is a NWC pipe. There are valves, spigots and supply sources all over Negril. The trucks find the most convenient one and fill'er up! Hydrants are used as well. Even the tanks on Tank Hill and Westland Mountain are being tapped.

And no government agency is doing anything about it. Meanwhile, the residents have no water in their pipes.
    I know very little about the "procurement procedure" other than the PM declaring an "emergence situation that requires a prompt repose" regarding the road and wall collapse by Sunshine plaza. He said the repairs still have to go through the procurement procedure. I'm not sure if I will see those repairs in my life time (and I plan on living for another 25 years).

What about a "local state of emergency". Does Negril have any local government or Parish sympathy. Local SOE might get the word out internationally and that might prompt a response.