Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Long time since I’ve posted mon

User Info Menu

Re: Long time since I’ve posted mon

Yeah it was cool to be able to ride down there. Here in Miami, a lot of the guys I train with and even more I race against are Jamaican. Super popular sport with the JA expat community here. A lot of them ride like they drive in the island, which makes races a bit chaotic.

Hoping to organize a trip to bring some of them and their bikes “home” and get some riding in down the road.

User Info Menu

Name:  Dread Cycle.JPG
Views: 1804
Size:  840.6 KB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Name:  Dread Cycle.JPG
Views: 1804
Size:  840.6 KB
    Classic ride with a great paint job!

User Info Menu

Thanks Odinson,
    I traveled the entire island on that 10 speed. I got that bike when I was 12 years old and it had been sitting in my garage for years so I took it down to bare metal and did a total re-fabrication including Ites, Gold and Green colors. Back in the day of the Big Bus one could stow a bicycle on the top of the bus and travel long distances. I flew into Kingston and traveled all over Portland and through the Blue Mountains on that bike and ended up in Negril where I rode throughout Westmoreland and Hanover Parishes. What fun it was to have a bike in Jamaica!!

Name:  John 1982.JPG
Views: 2052
Size:  1.01 MB

User Info Menu

That sounds like a dream.

User Info Menu

Thanks Odinson,
    I traveled the entire island on that 10 speed. I got that bike when I was 12 years old and it had been sitting in my garage for years so I took it down to bare metal and did a total re-fabrication including Ites, Gold and Green colors. Back in the day of the Big Bus one could stow a bicycle on the top of the bus and travel long distances. I flew into Kingston and traveled all over Portland and through the Blue Mountains on that bike and ended up in Negril where I rode throughout Westmoreland and Hanover Parishes. What fun it was to have a bike in Jamaica!!

Name:  John 1982.JPG
Views: 2052
Size:  1.01 MB
    Great times! What was your record number of patches/tube? Schwinn Paramount Racer? Probably $200 back which seemed like a fortune!

We used to rent the Oma bikes from Kool Brown. Sunday morning rides were the best, no traffic, Gospel music and the surreal calm. Not sure where to rent bikes anymore but I should. Pretty much spend most time snorkelling and looking for lion fish to spear but getting in the saddle on choppy days would be great.

User Info Menu

Odinson,
    If memory serves me right it was a Raleigh bicycle made in England and it had a very hard leather seat and a very nice Gold finish. No fenders or other accessories I got it probably in 1967 or thereabouts. It was a great ride that ended in my garage and I decided to rebuild it and bring it to Jamaica with me. And yes I was wise to have brought numerous patches and tubes. What I failed to bring were rubber brake pads. I remember riding from Green Hill in the Blue Mountains to Port Antonio one day and it is a very steep downhill to the coast. Didn't have much brakes left after that.

And yes Negril on a Sunday was always the best especially Easter Sunday. My favorite place in the world on Easter!!

User Info Menu

Name:  Villa's Pool.JPG
Views: 1911
Size:  841.5 KB

Different bike, different year

User Info Menu

Odinson,
    If memory serves me right it was a Raleigh bicycle made in England and it had a very hard leather seat and a very nice Gold finish. No fenders or other accessories I got it probably in 1967 or thereabouts. It was a great ride that ended in my garage and I decided to rebuild it and bring it to Jamaica with me. And yes I was wise to have brought numerous patches and tubes. What I failed to bring were rubber brake pads. I remember riding from Green Hill in the Blue Mountains to Port Antonio one day and it is a very steep downhill to the coast. Didn't have much brakes left after that.

And yes Negril on a Sunday was always the best especially Easter Sunday. My favorite place in the world on Easter!!
    Ah yes, those hard leather seats that would supposedly adapt to your fit with enough sweat on the seat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewer View Post
    Ah yes, those hard leather seats that would supposedly adapt to your fit with enough sweat on the seat.
    Might be the other way around! If I'm out of my Brooks all-weather for a week or more (Jah forbid), it take a few days for me to get super comfortable again.