Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: SIM cards and minutes

User Info Menu

SIM cards and minutes

I bought two Motorola Razer V3 GMS unlocked phones to take to Negril with us in January.How much will the SIM cards be,and how much are minutes for a month going to cost?

Thanks,
    Stuart

User Info Menu

I can't quite remember but it seems to me teh sim card was $20 - $25. MInutes? $10 - $15 will likely be more than you need. The minutes are cheap cheap cheap!

User Info Menu

the SIM is about 600-700 $JMD - so somewhere around 7-8 bucks $USD. no way to advise how much credit you'll need for a month cause we have no idea about your usage levels -

Digicel phone cards come in denominations of 100, 200, 300, and 500 $JMD and can be used for both local and international calls.

there's also that special "international calling plan", which is good for international calling for a month - i think 1000 minutes? (not sure on that.) Keep in mind the int'l plan does not work for local calls, so you'd still need to load some local Digicel phone card into the phone for local calling. Not sure exactly on the cost of the int'l plan but i think i remember hearing it's around 1500 $JMD.

edit: just found this post on a jamaica travel board:

I purchased a new SIM card the end of October, 2011. Cost was $587 jmd = $6.90 usd.
    International calling plan was $1875 jmd = $22.00 usd.
    Last edited by MissBlue; 12-03-2011 at 01:33 PM.

User Info Menu

How the Internat'l credit works is, load it onto your phone along with some codes the dealer will give you & make sure to NOT use any of that credit until you've loaded the phone with the codes or it WILL be used for local credit for local calls! I found that out the hard way!!

You have to then load additional credit to make your local calls...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northcoast View Post
    How the Internat'l credit works is, load it onto your phone along with some codes the dealer will give you & make sure to NOT use any of that credit until you've loaded the phone with the codes or it WILL be used for local credit for local calls! I found that out the hard way!!

You have to then load additional credit to make your local calls...
    The process is simple... (digicel method)

1. Accumulate or buy $1000+ JMD worth of phone credit. Load them (topup) on to phone by dialing *121*CODES-ON-PHONE-CREDIT-VOUCHER/CARDS# for each card/voucher. You can purchase phone credit online securely with paypal and ezetop here.

2. Confirm your credit is above $1000JMD by dialing *120# (<--- CODE USED TO CHECK regular BALANCE)

3. Purchase/subscribe to international plan by dialing *134*1000#. Follow Instructions & Confirm International balance by dialing *134*1000# again after purchase is complete.

4. ENJOY DIRT CHEAP INTERNATIONAL CALLING... if you consider it to be about $15 bucks US for the 1000 minutes... then that's 1.5c per minute.

Cheers!
    Free Classifieds & Event listings in Negril @ Claja.com