Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: URGENT - Need your INPUT by 4:30pm TODAY (Tuesday) on a Jerk Chicken Centre

Administrator

User Info Menu

URGENT - Need your INPUT by 4:30pm TODAY (Tuesday) on a Jerk Chicken Centre

Here is the proposal:

Re: Proposal to Develop Jerk Centre

Negril as a major tourist area, and contributor to tourism income to Jamaica is
    without a central area for visitors to consume our famous Jamaican Jerk. To
    compound the issue, some property owners have shared their concerns with the
    haphazard nature of the operations of persons who Jerk along the beach road.

As Member of Parliament, I submitted a request for approval for lands to be
    used for the Jerk Centre and for funding for construction. The proposed area is
    located immediately across from the beach park. The center will feature, designated
    vending stalls, parking area, storage areas for each stall, rest room facilities, outdoor
    dining area, and sections to display health certificates. The intention is also to have
    persons who operate in this space to undergo TPD.co training and certification.

In the event approval is granted and funding is secure, further communication will be
    made with Negril Chamber of Commerce for your support in coordination in the
    development of the Jerk Centre.

Best Regards

Morland Wilson
    Member of Parliament for Westmoreland Western

--------------------------------------------------------

Let us know what you think below. The jerk chicken vendors and barrels you see along the road will be moved to a single central location by the beach park, no longer near the hotel properties along the beach road.

If you have alternative ideas, please post them as well.

Time is of the essence.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: URGENT - Need your INPUT by 4:30pm TODAY (Tuesday) on a Jerk Chicken Centre

Another place for jerk is fine, but don't forcefully move the barrel guys or the permanent stands! We stay near Wavz Park and there are several jerk guys within an easy walk. Taxis are fine and we use them often, but sometimes I just want to cross the road and walk to pick up dinner.

User Info Menu

'The jerk chicken vendors and barrels you see along the road will be moved to a single central location by the beach park, no longer near the hotel properties along the beach road.'

Bad idea
    Last edited by dave; 07-12-2022 at 01:02 PM.

User Info Menu

I love strolling beach road and smelling (and eating!!) the jerk along the way. I also think a center will take away from the struggling mom & pop establishments that give Negril it's charm. A center will make it feel more like downtown Mobay. You won't catch me eating there.

User Info Menu

I like the idea of training and certification, but it could be a long stroll for folks staying farther from the park area. We've stayed at different places up and down the beach and I always appreciated getting my evening jerk chicken fix with a barrel fairly close by without cabbing it. So I would prefer leaving it as is.
    Peace, Todd & Cher

User Info Menu

I don't think the location will do the vendors much good. Only makes sense if they were to have maybe 2 smaller locations in the 'boutique hotel' area (you rarely get the all-inclusive patrons off their properties to spend money on food). I do like the the idea of some health dept over view.

User Info Menu

I think a Jerk Center will be the death of the vendors we have known and loved forever. The competition between vendors will be extreme. Much, much more than it is now. Who gets what spot? How much will their spot cost? Can they move to venues for shows (I think not)? If we are stay near by we might make a visit but if we’re at the other end of the beach we would not. If they make this move i feel we won’t have jerk barrels anymore. It’s part of what makes Negril Negril.

User Info Menu

I agree with the others so far. The Jerk barrels are spread out along the road giving people a spot to grab dinner without having to walk too far from their hotel. I like walking across the street to BITW for jerk chicken. Wouldn't like to walk too much further along the road at night. Couldn't they do both? Have a Jerk Centre for those that want to go there and let the guys who have their own jerk barrels stay where they are if they want. The jerk Center could add other booths like produce or desserts. Kind of like a food truck gathering. Just a thought.

User Info Menu

One of the long simmering issues with the "Independent" Jerk barrel vendors is the lack of hygiene available to the cook and customers.
    Simply having the cook and food prep vendors able to wash their hands adequately has always been an issue for the safety of the customers. Almost all established restaurants are REQUIRED to have these facilities available. This adds additional cost to the restaurants that the "Independents" haven't had to bear. Check out Best in the West vs any Jerk Barrel on the beach road.

Ukran1ans and other comments are spot on regarding location. My daily walks up and down Norman Manley Blvd this April took me past several VACANT properties closer to the Boutique Hotels.

I have frequented many Jerk Barrels over the years, but as I get older, I'm more concerned about hygiene. Maybe it is time to put the "Independents" on the same playing field as the established restaurants.

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

It just occurred to me that Tourists aren't the only one's that frequent the Jerk Barrels.
    So maybe two locations, one across from the Crafts market and another further north along the beach road near the boutique hotels.