Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: URGENT - Need your INPUT by 4:30pm TODAY (Tuesday) on a Jerk Chicken Centre

User Info Menu

Re: URGENT - Need your INPUT by 4:30pm TODAY (Tuesday) on a Jerk Chicken Centre

Bad idea, especially if it affects the few jerk sellers on the West End road.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: URGENT - Need your INPUT by 4:30pm TODAY (Tuesday) on a Jerk Chicken Centre

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    To compound the issue, some property owners have shared their concerns with the
    haphazard nature of the operations of persons who Jerk along the beach road.
    It may just be the cynic in me, but I see this as meaning that some of the hotels are pissed about the amount of restaurant business they are losing to the roadside jerk pans ( as can be seen in this thread ) and see this as a way to move them away from their businesses. If the roadside barrels are removed, tourists who want to eat in the area will be forced into the hotel restaurants.

Add to that the potentially devastating effects on the barrel owners, many of whom have been in the same location for years or even decades and have built up a good clientele, and you have what I consider to be a monumentally bad idea.

User Info Menu

It might be a good concept on paper and could be marketed to tourists staying outside of Negril as another attraction. Maybe even get folks to Negril that might not otherwise come. BUT…for those of us staying in Negril that probably give them at least 90% of their business, this is a terrible idea! In reality…it will kill the independent jerk barrel business.

First, who’s going to walk that far? Second, “The center will feature, designated vending stalls, parking area, storage areas for each stall, rest room facilities, outdoor dining area, and sections to display health certificates” All of which costs money these guys don’t have. Third, I would be willing to bet that they make most of their money outside the live music venues. Would this Jerk Centre even be open that late? And, even if it is, the attendees will not go that far. Fourth, one of the best parts of walking down beach road is smelling the delicious jerk.

All of us have our favorites and don’t want to see their businesses die!
    For example, everyone knows Smokey Joes is across from Grand Pineapple or that Steppa was always next to Villa Mora.

User Info Menu

A jerk center in addition to the street vendors yes. Replacing the vendors, No.

User Info Menu

I also think this a bad idea. I love being able to walk outside my hotel anywhere along Norman Manley blvd or the up on the west end and grab some chicken or soup. I hope they don't do this. I don't mind somethings changing in Negril but this would take away from why i like going there.

User Info Menu

Isn't jerk sauce a natural antimicrobial?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ol'yardie View Post
    Isn't jerk sauce a natural antimicrobial?
    All kidding aside, a shot of rum after dinner helps dramatically.
    The food trucks / carts here in NYC are licensed and inspected routinely. They should have the barrel owners get licensed, requiring a certain amount of FREE courses on hygiene and food prep to do so, meet certain criteria, and leave them where they are!

User Info Menu

Change is inevitable....I understand why they would want to do something like this, but.......sucky idea !!

User Info Menu

I like the way things are, with carts and establishments scattered around the area - it's easy to get great jerk chicken in Negril. Pork is a different matter - I miss Ossie's on the beach road. I stay at Great Huts frequently and while I love the liveliness of the row of cook shops out front at Boston Jerk Center I only need one jerk pit at a time. It's a bit awkward to say "No thanks" to the others and it's a bit of a process to make sure I spread the love over several vendors over the course of several meals.

User Info Menu

bad idea for all the reasons everybody else said