Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's for sale at LTU? *PICS*

Administrator

User Info Menu

What's for sale at LTU? *PICS*

T-shirts and magic chocolate!!!

Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: What's for sale at LTU? *PICS*

Hmmmm….t-shirts for sale.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I don't think they have had t-shirts before - does anyone have an old one?
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the mushroom/chocolate combo. I hope some brave sole will post a review.
    I do see a t-shirt in my future. We’ve been visiting LTU since sometime in the early 90’s. No one seems to know when it first opened. If you know please share.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
    I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the mushroom/chocolate combo. I hope some brave sole will post a review.
    I do see a t-shirt in my future. We’ve been visiting LTU since sometime in the early 90’s. No one seems to know when it first opened. If you know please share.
    According to their website...over 35 years ago. 😁
    https://ltucliff.com/

User Info Menu

Thanks Bnewb! That is as good an answer as I’m going to get. I’ve been asking folks for years including the last owner, Bill I believe his name is. I know it was relatively new the first time we went. We must have dozens of pictures of us sitting on that ledge at sunset over the last 33 years. It’s still a must visit spot for us each trip.

User Info Menu

LTU was built by the German airline LTU (now Lufthansa) back in the day as a spot for German all inclusive trips. The guest room buildings are built with a double course of cinder blocks so they are double thick against wind and tidal surge. You may lose your roof but not the walls (German engineering). The person who knows the most about those days is Miss Noreen who retired a year or two back but still comes around sometimes. She was a young bartender in those days and has a 35 year history with the place. She told me that back in the early days the Germans tended to stay up all night and drank LOTS of beer. She was responsible for staying up with them until the last German crawled back across the street. We saw her a year ago when her family had a birthday party for her at LTU and for once everyone waited on her.

User Info Menu

And while we're at it...Bill was in fact the owner until he sold it to Luca and Carrie Ann. Bill was at his usual perch at the bar one night when this young woman from the midwest strolled in and sat at a table. To make a long story longer, Bill was smitten, eventually sold the place, moved back to the midwest and married her. After all those years in tropical climes Bill now lives in snow country. I've seen pictures of him bundled up like an Eskimo with only his eyes showing just to take his little dog for a walk in a foot of snow. They tell me he still travels back to Negril from time to time but we haven't been there yet when he's there. Ah, Love.

User Info Menu

Ol’yardie, what great information! I knew the owners were German but but had no idea a German airline had built it. Cool story about the construction techniques too. Thank you for sharing!

User Info Menu

One more thing...back in the early-mid '80's magic mushrooms were sold openly on the beach under the watchful eye of the "Top Rankin".
    Beach commerce was like a well oiled machine. As you strolled down the beach past shells, ganja, shrooms etc. for sale you would be joined by a guy who emerged from the tree line calling "my friend, my friend". He would stroll with you for a ways, picking you brain about what you wanted or needed. After a short stroll he would say well this is where I leave you. Then he retreated to the tree line and immediately he was replaced by the next guy (my friend, my friend) who walked with you until the next guy and the next guy. As I mentioned all this was monitored from the tree line by the top rankin' who never came onto the beach. Behind all of this were the higglers who had certain power because they were among the few who could travel off the island and return with large suitcases filled with products which were mostly unavailable at that time. The government finally wised up and began requiring licenses to sell on the beach. Those surely were adventurous times!