Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Catcha to Treasure Beach ?

User Info Menu

Catcha to Treasure Beach ?

We are heading back to Negril October 22-29 and we cannot wait. I wanted to see some different things this time around. I was thinking about renting a scooter and going to Peter Tosh’s monument in Belmont then heading to Black River area to catch a boat to Floyd’s Pelican Bar and the new Basils Dolphin Reef Bar from there head to Treasure Beach to see Jakes Hotel for a drink at Dougie’s then Lovers Leap for a bite to eat and check the view. Is this too much to do with a scooter? I was also looking into booking a car for the whole day because I was told the scooter idea is not a good idea due to the road situation and chance of being caught in a rain cloud. It seems Treasure Beach is 2+ hours from West End. Does anyone know how many hours I would need a car for? With that, does anyone have a driver that would do this trip with us? Any advice would help. Thanks in advance!
    Rob

User Info Menu

Re: Catcha to Treasure Beach ?

I’ve driven Negril to TB many times. TB is a great change of pace.
    A scooter wouldn’t be my choice. It’s a long day, and driving is hectic. Best to leave it to the professional’s. That way you get to enjoy the “ride “.
    Andre at Luxurious Taxi could arrange that at a reasonable price.

User Info Menu

I agree with MBJ. TB is not attainable on a scooter. Once you get on the narrow roads the other side of Sav between Sav and Whitehouse, the road is OK but not great. With the sea on one side and the rock cliff on the other, I just can't see how you could do this safely. Also you'd be on the scooter 4 maybe 5 hours (not very comfortable) and a few hours at TB then a few hours at Floyd's there won't be enough hours in the day. Drive your self is an option but not for the faint of heart, unless you have driven Jamaica before and are comfortable do it. For a little more than the car rental why not just take a driver. Ask the driver to stop when you need to stretch, pull in if you need an icy cold Red Stripe. The driver can help you find a boat to take you out to Floyd's and recommend a place top stop for lunch. You can even have a sleep in the back seat on the way home after a busy day.

User Info Menu

NJRob,
    Forget about renting a scooter or car in Jamaica and having a drink! Suicide!! Driving in JA demands total attention and absolutely no drinking or smoking for your safety as well as others. TB is a long ride over and back!! Do as others have suggested hire a driver and let him do the work. Sit back and enjoy the beautiful scenery, stop whenever wherever you want for a drink or a smoke. The roads in Westmoreland and St. Elizabeth are very challenging so leave it to those who know them and frequent them to carry you and your loved ones safely.

User Info Menu

In my adventurous youth I rented a car to drive myself wherever I wanted to go. One place everyone was talking about (besides WS Falls and Roaring River) was Treasure Beach and the artist enclave at Jakes. So my wife and I took off on a road trip. We left Negril in the morning and actually drove a bit beyond Jakes to see what was there (a huge billboard with a horned goat head on it proclaiming "Welcome to Nannyland"
    as well as hundreds of goats roaming around). On the way back we stopped at Jakes for a while before heading back to Negril, arriving there
    well after dark. Although I'm sure much has changed in the past 30 years, here's what I remember: Getting lost in Sav trying to follow the road
    through town and out on the other side. Narrow ribbons of asphalt and potholes. Following semi trucks for miles with no opportunity to pass.
    It is NOT a leisurely day trip. My advice is to find a driver you like and trust who knows that area and hire them for the day with an agreed upon itinerary and price. You will have peace of mind traveling with a local, the driver gets paid instead of a rental car company, and you save travel time.
    Cool Runnings!

User Info Menu

Treasure Beach is a great change of pace, but i would not try a scooter.

User Info Menu

I rent a big bike (Honda Shadow 600) from JahB for my entire 5 weeks stay in the past & have done many trips to Border Jerk...Mayfield Falls...YS Falls...Treasure Beach & Pelican Bar without any issues...a scooter is a different story though. Gotta make sure the tires are in great condition & aired up properly..plenty of fuel & keep an eye out for those freaking pot holes!!

User Info Menu

Thank you everyone for the great responses. I will definitely hire a driver and just sit back and relax with a red stripe and a smoke !!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Excellent!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Catcha to Treasure Beach ?

We hire Randy Smith for all our excursions. He’s a great driver, pleasant to chat to and very knowledgeable of the surrounding area. He’s taken us on numerous excursions and we’ve many stops along the way for food, drink and side trips. His WhatsApp number is 876-465-3837. We highly recommend him and have know him for about 25 years, he’s definitely our driver of choice!