Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: I've been MIA for awhile

User Info Menu

I've been MIA for awhile

Hi Everyone,
    I have been missing in action for a while. Just booked our next trip for 12/28-1-7, just me and the hubs, no kids. I've been scrolling and reading through some posts (after I reset my forgotten password), it is so nice to see so many people still here, Rob, BNEWB and others.

Haven't been to Negril since 2016, had our Jamaican family to our home in the US the summer of 2018 though.

What's new around Negril? Any good new stuff we should know to prepare for our visit?

TIA
    Sunset at the Palms 2/09
    Point Village 08/09
    Xtabi 08/09
    Footeprints 11/09
    Negril Beach Club June 22, 2016-July 9, 2016
    Country Country November 19, 2016-November 27, 2016
    White Sands 12/28-21/7/23
    *previously known as crazy4caribbean*

User Info Menu

Re: I've been MIA for awhile

Welcome back! Going back after a long hiatus was just the cure for us early summer. It was amazing how quick your senses kick in. The sights, smells and smiles instantly bring back so many happy memories.
    Tony's Hut is still a beach classic and a must stop. Go see Captain Raymond and his glass bottom. You will find him in front Beach House Condos. He has been on the beach doing his thing for over 30 years. Wonderful individual. Enjoy
    Peace

User Info Menu

Sleeping policeman (speed bumps) and a hospital on the beach side!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madcam94 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I have been missing in action for a while. Just booked our next trip for 12/28-1-7, just me and the hubs, no kids. I've been scrolling and reading through some posts (after I reset my forgotten password), it is so nice to see so many people still here, Rob, BNEWB and others.

Haven't been to Negril since 2016, had our Jamaican family to our home in the US the summer of 2018 though.

What's new around Negril? Any good new stuff we should know to prepare for our visit?

TIA
    Madcam94,

Bnewb and I have been trying to think of all the changes since 2016. There are new hotels, Skylark and Blue Skies to name just two, there are tiki boat bar cruises which can be a lot of fun. New owners of some established places like LTU and Catcha Falling Star. There are legal ganja dispensaries open now with edibles. A new shopping plaza across from Treehouse.

You completely missed the myriad of "Covid Testing" places - signs were everywhere!

There is a Popeye's and Little Ceasars downtown near the Burger King. A new Taco place on the West End before you get to the old Yacht Club. And just after that is a new Chinese restaurant. There are a few new bars on the West End, some serving local food.

New hotels on the West End include SOV and Begona Cliff and Kaiser's has re-opened.

But even with all the changes, you will still find the Negril you know and love!

See you soon!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Madcam94,

Bnewb and I have been trying to think of all the changes since 2016. There are new hotels, Skylark and Blue Skies to name just two, there are tiki boat bar cruises which can be a lot of fun. New owners of some established places like LTU and Catcha Falling Star. There are legal ganja dispensaries open now with edibles. A new shopping plaza across from Treehouse.

You completely missed the myriad of "Covid Testing" places - signs were everywhere!

There is a Popeye's and Little Ceasars downtown near the Burger King. A new Taco place on the West End before you get to the old Yacht Club. And just after that is a new Chinese restaurant. There are a few new bars on the West End, some serving local food.

New hotels on the West End include SOV and Begona Cliff and Kaiser's has re-opened.

But even with all the changes, you will still find the Negril you know and love!

See you soon!
    Thanks Rob. Is Seastar drummers still a thing? Canoe Bar, Red Dragon? We were there in 2018 as well.
    Not interested in ganja, it’s legal here and I don’t partake. Also, I am hankering for some authentic JA food so none of the US establishments for us.
    Is there still a list of bar specials? I remember before there would be live streams and such by you and BNEWB. It was so much fun to meet up with fellow Negril lovers.
    I am sure we will fall back into the ol’ runnings of Negril once we land. Whose got the best jerk stand, we used to be loyal to Marshall at Step Aside as we was to us watching out for our girls at the Jungle! RiP Marshall!
    We almost booked Kaiser but wasn’t sure from some of the reviews, I try to take those with a grain of salt since we aren’t fancy pants travelers, rather spend the $ on local eats, activities and meet ups.
    Sunset at the Palms 2/09
    Point Village 08/09
    Xtabi 08/09
    Footeprints 11/09
    Negril Beach Club June 22, 2016-July 9, 2016
    Country Country November 19, 2016-November 27, 2016
    White Sands 12/28-21/7/23
    *previously known as crazy4caribbean*

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madcam94 View Post
    Thanks Rob. Is Seastar drummers still a thing? Canoe Bar, Red Dragon? We were there in 2018 as well.
    Not interested in ganja, it’s legal here and I don’t partake. Also, I am hankering for some authentic JA food so none of the US establishments for us.
    Is there still a list of bar specials? I remember before there would be live streams and such by you and BNEWB. It was so much fun to meet up with fellow Negril lovers.
    I am sure we will fall back into the ol’ runnings of Negril once we land. Whose got the best jerk stand, we used to be loyal to Marshall at Step Aside as we was to us watching out for our girls at the Jungle! RiP Marshall!
    We almost booked Kaiser but wasn’t sure from some of the reviews, I try to take those with a grain of salt since we aren’t fancy pants travelers, rather spend the $ on local eats, activities and meet ups.
    Oh, good questions! The Seastar show is cancelled as usual in the summertime, but my guess is that Chris will get enough requests to start it back up. That is unless he has retired the show as we retired the webcasts back in 2016. Time will tell.

Canoe is great - during Covid it seemed to lose its direction, but Kirby is back at the helm and the food is good and hot and the drinks are good and cold!

Red Dragon is Red Dragon, I was there the other day and will probably stop there today. Just remember show up before 2pm for the pork, and no pork at all on Sundays.

For local cuisine, a great place in the 3-Dives tradition is a place called Kool Vybes. The pineapple coleslaw is amazing. Miguel, the nephew of the 3 Dives owner, is the owner of Kool Vybes and a great guy who focuses on his food first and foremost. The Corner Bar still has some of the fastest service and best tasting food - always a crowd, especially during matches.

And yes, a big grain of salt is the best way to take most reviews, the bad ones especially. Most people who have a good time don't think of the review where as even the slightest perceived slight can cause a bad review. Which is why we have never had a review section or ranking of businesses.

Trip reports seem to be the best way of getting the over-all feeling of the vacation experience, some places may simply be having an off day but that doesn't need to be the focus of the experience.

So please everyone, keep the trip reports coming!

Things are still not quite back to "normal" yet, thanks to Covid and now WWIII, but when things do get back to normal, the bar happy hour listing and more will be coming to Negril.com!

See you soon!

User Info Menu

I heartily second Rob’s recommendation of Kool Vybes! Best festival around. A favorite hang out of the One Love Brigade.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

Administrator

User Info Menu

Red Dragon right now!