Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Jamaican memories

User Info Menu

Jamaican memories

From my first trip to Jamaica to my last the one. The thing I appreciate the most are the memories . My first trip I stayed at the Aqua Moon. That is where I fell in love with the island and met my first and best Jamaican friend Scandal. Next we entered our camping faze. Aqua Moon with Mr. Black. Roots Bamboo with Mr Plumber. Gilbert in the tent next to us. Meeting more lifelong friends. Feeling more confident to get out and explore. Just gave us the opportunity to gain more memories. Relationships built with the local jerk chef (Marshall original bling bling was our guy) restaurant staff, shop owners, money changers ( Mr Bandoo then his son Garfield), beach vendors, boardies and all the other people I was blessed to cross paths with. The new places to stay like Bannana Shout where my best friend Johnny almost got washed out to sea during one of his late night cliffside shower sessions. Will always be remembered. Staying with Isha on the hill after a hurricane battered her board house gave us the feel of a real yardie and another person we loved dearly. My wedding at Whoopie Park with Dennis holding down the bar. The fresh orange juice just as memorable as the weather. Thunderstorms leading to beautiful sunny skies. A crack of lightning that made everybody jump just for good measure. Then back to Roots for the reception. The years we were able to return led to many web casts, breakfasts at Selinas, buffets at Sea Star, Wednesday night parties at Roots, Jacko making our sign that still hangs in the bar. That sign Missing lots of dates because the trips became more often and longer stays. Then the 23-7 days. What a place. The end was fast and epic. Glad I wasn't there for that part. But the friends I made,the people I met and the memories made will never be forgotten. All these events were awesome. The number of friends made too long to list. But the one thing that is the biggest blessing Jamaica ever gave me was my son. He was conceived and born in Jamaica. Him being born at Nepal birthing center was the best day of my life. Jamaica had blessed me again. I do wish he remembered those first 6 months of his life spent on that bar in his car seat at 23-7. As much as I remember holding my son in front of the web cast camera for my grandma to get her first look at her grandson. With my new son it was back to Michigan. Now my trips to Jamaica are harder to make happen. This just means we appreciate them more. My sons first jump in the Blue Hole at 7 was a heart stopper. His jellyfish bites at Half Moon are maybe memories he would like to forget. Racing in the go karts at the water park even though he was like 4 inches too short. Just because he looked at the guy and said "do you know I am Jamaican". That same line got him a extra round of laser tag too. I made my first trip by myself just before Covid hit. Purple haze with Dennis. I informed my wife I did more in the first four days by myself. Then I ever got done with her. Doghouse for me. She drives the rental car. So she chooses what gets done and where we go. This trip had its share of memories. Just Wasn't the same without my wife and son. But I still was Happy to be there. Till I got one of those memories we have that aren't the happy ones. Isha had died. I was on the beach enjoying one of those beautiful Negril sunsets when I got the call. I was grateful I got the chance to give her a big hug and kiss just a couple days earlier. But was crying now because I knew I would never be able to do that again. I am sorry to say the other people in this story ( except Scandal,my wife and son) have all passed away. But the memories of chicken with Marshal. Gilbert upgrading from a tent to a room at Roots. Business with the Bandoos. Reasoning with Mr. Black and Mr. Plummer. Fresh orange juice and whatever alcohol you prefer with Dennis. Trips with my friend Johnny. Drinks and spliffs with Jacko and Dennis. Patties and hugs with Isha. My grandmas first chance to see her grandson. These are memories Jamaica has blessed me with and will keep these people in my thoughts forever. I look forward to my trip with my family coming up in Jan. Another chance to start new relationships. A chance to revisit old old friends. But especially a chance for new memories.

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaican memories

Beautiful!
    Your heartfelt words have left me feeling speechless & introspective.💔❣️

User Info Menu

Nicely said. I'm looking forward to making more memories of my own in December.

By the way, has anyone repurposed the property that was once 23/7? What's there now?
    Johio

User Info Menu

Wonderful post!
    So many excellent memories!
    Isha was a gem! I still have a scarf she knitted for me many years ago!
    Respect,
    VVHT aka Happy