Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting around Negril

User Info Menu

Getting around Negril

What is the best inexpensive way to get around Negril while staying at Travellers Resort? E.g. Travellers to Patsy's Coffee Shop etc if you don't want to walk?

User Info Menu

Re: Getting around Negril

Ratty2141,

Just got back last night from a week in Negril.

I was up on the cliffs and there were very few Route Taxis, day or night on the West End.
    Many more Route Taxis downtown and on the beach road.
    In a week I think I used two route taxi's on the west end, maybe two more on the beach side or downtown. I don't recall what the fare was, but due to the government NOT raising the rates since gasoline has doubled I always paid $500 J per passenger to offset the cost of gas.

I usually used charter taxis for getting around. I usually paid $20 US to pick me up at Seastar, pick up another person, drive anywhere on the beach, Red Ground or Downtown, drop us off and come back later and pick us up.
    Almost all drivers use WhatsApp for communications.

I'm guessing since September is slow season, most drivers weren't operating their vehicles due to lack of business.

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

I have the numbers for a few trusted red plate drivers I use if you’re interested. These are people I use when I’m in Negril.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for this. Helps a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    Ratty2141,

Just got back last night from a week in Negril.

I was up on the cliffs and there were very few Route Taxis, day or night on the West End.
    Many more Route Taxis downtown and on the beach road.
    In a week I think I used two route taxi's on the west end, maybe two more on the beach side or downtown. I don't recall what the fare was, but due to the government NOT raising the rates since gasoline has doubled I always paid $500 J per passenger to offset the cost of gas.

I usually used charter taxis for getting around. I usually paid $20 US to pick me up at Seastar, pick up another person, drive anywhere on the beach, Red Ground or Downtown, drop us off and come back later and pick us up.
    Almost all drivers use WhatsApp for communications.

I'm guessing since September is slow season, most drivers weren't operating their vehicles due to lack of business.

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

Thanks. That would be great if you could
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    I have the numbers for a few trusted red plate drivers I use if you’re interested. These are people I use when I’m in Negril.

User Info Menu

So what is the actual rate for route taxis in Negril these days?
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Sandman66,
    I think it is $150 J per person on the route without any side trips or additional stops.
    I didn't bother asking, just gave them $500 J per person.

User Info Menu

So can anyone confirm? $150J
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sandman66 View Post
    So can anyone confirm? $150J
    Yes, for 1 leg trip. But the drivers are not happy. Technically there was an increase to $155, which they rightfully took as an insult.

A few drivers were charging $200 but got fined.

$150 is just not fair, gas prices are outrageous. I live here and pay $200 most times.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

My empathy is for the route taxi drivers, but the Government is stuck between a rock and a hard place, either piss of the drivers or piss off their primary users who are local Jamaicans.